Rethreading Drawstrings

Category Repairing
Whether a bathing suit, hoodie or sweat pants a large safety pin can help guide that string back where it belongs. This is a guide about rethreading drawstrings.

I sew a lot and often make things that need to have drawstrings threaded through. I used to clip large safety pins to the string and thread it through that way, but my hands would get tight and hurt. Now I keep leftover chopsticks from take-out Chinese and tape the string to the bottom and use them like a giant needle to thread the string. Not only does it save my hands from aching, but it cuts the time in half too.

By Carolyn S.

I wanted to put my 2 cents in also. I have skewers with a "o" shape on the end and use one of these for threading elastic through casings. Really saves on my fingers.

pats

Does anyone have a tip on how to get the string/cord from boys bathing suits back in?

mom23boys from Flusing, NY

Best Answer

This has happened to me before. I would take the cord entirely out, then get a small safetypin that fits in the hole the cord came out of. Take the pin and hook some of the cord and close it.

Then feed the pin thru the hole and gather the material and then slide it more. This takes a bit of time due to the small pin but at the end just poke it back thru the hole or the hole next to it if there is one and undo the pin and your done.

I sew the cord or string at the center back so the chances of this happening were lessened. With stretchy materials I would put in a longer cord so there would be no way for the ends to just "suck in slightly".

Good luck!

Best Answer

As the Mom of 4 grown boys, I've found myself grappling with many drawstrings.

The method that worked best for me was to tie one end snugly around a knitting needle and insert the needle, point first into the front opening.

Gather as much material up onto the needle as you can and pull the gathers down over the head end where the drawstring is tied.

Once the needle is all the way in, keep gathering the material onto the needle, pulling from the other side until the point of the needle peeks out of the other end of the opening.

Then, simply pull it through, remove the needle from the drawstring and re-knot the end.

This can also be done with a coat hanger, cut down and folded in half, as flat as you can get it. Try to keep the edges smooth. A rasp or file may help. Tie the string around the curve of the hanger and pull the whole thing through using the same type of gathering method.

Best Answer

Save time, forget that paperclip thing. Just tape one end of the string to a pencil and slide the pencil through the waistband and POOF! Be blessed friend. :)

I'm a seamstress and have to say that the way I do it is just as fordluv said - pull it all the way out, pin a safety pin to one end of the cord, and guide the pin, head first, through the casing till it comes ot the other side. This can take a while, especially the first time, so don't get too frustrated.

Sewing it in the middle back will hold it in place to bar against future mishaps. You can use this same method when putting in elastic, just make sure to not lose the 2nd end inside the casing or you'll be doing it again!

Good luck!

Yes the safety pin works for me too, i try to use a baby nappy pin because they are quite big and chunky and thread really easily but yet are still usually thin enough to get through most small 'tunnels'

put a safety pin on the draw string, close the safety pin and work it back into the suit from the opening through to the end---

Anonymous

I had this happen to some swim trunks recently. I spent the better part of a couple hours working the cord back in. It was slow going, but I worked on it while watching TV so it wasn't too tedious.

In my case, the cord came out when I washed the trunks. I think the spin cycle in the washer did it in. I'd recommend either hand washing swim trunks, putting them in one of those mesh bags for delicates, or tieing the cord before you wash them so there is no end to snag.

The safety pin works for me, too. I've used them to put the strings back into sweat pants, hooded sweatshirts, jackets, shorts, etc. If you can remember to tie a loose knot in the string before you toss the item into the washing machine each time, you'll not need to use the safety pin.

The pencil thing. A clear winner. Took less than a minute to do the job!Great suggestion!

My opening was too small for a pencil so I used a popsicle stick which worked fine.