End of the Garden Pickles

• 1 cup sliced cucumbers
  • 1 cup chopped sweet peppers
  • 1 cup chopped cabbage
  • 1 cup sliced onions
  • 1 cup chopped green tomatoes
  • Ad
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • 1 cup string beans cut in 1 inch pieces
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1 Tbsp. celery seed
  • 2 Tbsp. mustard seed
  • 2 cups vinegar
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. tumeric

Soak cucumbers, peppers, cabbage, onions, celery, and tomatoes in salt water (1/2 cup salt to 2 quarts water) over night. Drain. Cook carrots and string beans in boiling water until tender. Drain water. Mix soaked vegetables and cooked vegetables with remaining ingredients and boil 10 minutes. Place in sterilized jars. Seal at once. Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.

Source: mother

By Sandy from Graettinger, IA

Sandy, that sounds really good. Is it more like a relish? I hope we can all have a garden this year. It seems like a remote possibility now with all the snow. Thanks for the recipe.

September 4, 2009 Flag

It is the easiest recipe to follow, it is the fastest to make, and you can put anything from the garden in it. The recipe book called it "End of the Garden Pickle." The first time I used it was for an emergency, so from then on it was Emergency Pickle."

We had a very nice vegetable garden full of ripe and almost ripe produce and Hurricane Donna was headed directly toward us. We picked everything we could and then tried to figure out what to do with it. I found this recipe and used all of the vegetables we picked. A few years later I tried to make it again but had lost my recipe book and had to go back to Ball Corporation, Muncie, Indiana and request another book, which they sent me.

Combine vinegar, sugars, spices and salt in a large sauce pot. Bring to a boil then add prepared vegetables. Return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Pack hot into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Adjust caps. Process 15 minutes in boiling water bath. Yield: about 5 pints.

Above are the ingredients and directions directly out of Ball Blue Book. However, since I was in an emergency and had my entire garden in the house, my pickle included green tomatoes, very small ears of corn, okra, small yellow squash, cucumbers, and green beans. Also, we probably had 20 or 25 pints, so I just tipped the filled jars upside down until the seals popped. I skipped the water bath. They still turned out great and my kids loved them.

Source: Ball Blue Book, The Guide to Home Canning and Freezing, from Ball Corporation

By clynnaltemus from Inglis FL

A variety made all at once. I love it and I'm sure you and your family do too. I wish it wasn't a hurricane that brought you this recipe, but I thank you for it.

Food and Recipes Canning VegetablesFebruary 22, 2010
Making Homemade Pickles
Making Homemade Pickles
Dill Pickles
Recipes Using Pickles
Tomatoes growing with blossom end rot.
Blossom End Rot on Vegetables
Sunshine Dill Pickles
Making Sunshine Dill Pickles