Saving MoneyBudget & Finance

A Change Jar for Christmas

I put all my change in a jar from one Christmas to the next. I always pay with bills, this way I get more change to put in my jar. When I'm ready to do my Christmas shopping, I take my change to the bank and cash it in for bills or put in my account. I can save from $300.00 on up, the most I saved so far was $700.00. I think that's pretty good for saving just my change. I don't cash in my pennies, they go to my 2-1/2 year old grandson someday, so he should have a good many pennies.

By Connie from Windsor, PA

Hi, I try to do that but unfortunately, living paycheck to paycheck, I found that I was dipping into it too much. But, just recently I decided to do it a bit differently. When I get paid, after paying bills, whatever is left over, I put in a box. Each day, when leaving the house, I take however many bills I think I will need for the day. When I get home at the end of the day, I empty out all the remaining bills from my wallet without counting it and put it away in a ceramic crock in the kitchen.

For some reason when I don't count it, it is like it does not exist. Every other time, I have tried to save, I knew the money was there and ended up getting into it. For some reason, this works great for me being able to actually save some money quickly which up until this point has been just about impossible for me to do! It has also released a lot of stress when I know I am running low between paychecks and may not be able to get through, at least I know if am emergency arises, I will have a few bucks. I am just hoping I will not have to dip into it very often!