Popcorn Tins for Waste Baskets

We always receive the popcorn tins for Christmas. I have found if you line them with a small grocery bag, they make a great garbage can for any room that needs a little something to catch trash in. My girls always find one they like and you don't feel bad when they tire of it. My husband has one beside his chair in the family room and loves it.

By Cheryle from Presque Isle, ME

i just bought one tonight at kmart for 5 dollars in pirates of the carriben it has the 3 flavors of popcorn. bought for my son in law to eat the popcorn but for my grandsons room as decore, great idea your right.

If you get one as a gift & don't like the pattern, you can easily cover them with contact paper. (Works for plastic wastepaperbaskets, too)

COOL IDEA! ... I like to use the large popcorn tins (or dollar store trash pails) to stand left-over my tubes of wrapping paper in.

They also make good magazine holders.

You could paint the outside if it has Christmas decor on it and decorate it to your specific style.

They also work well to store Christmas lights in, light bulbs, animal feed (keeps mice out), ornaments and other items. In years past I kept one in the back of my car with a blanket rolled up in it, and another with the jumper cables, flares and a first aid kit. I glued a strip of the plastic side of velcro to them so they would stick to the carpet in the trunk and not roll around. Kept my tems clean, dry and organized.

I know it's late for this post, or heck, you can consider it early for this years holiday season!!

I get them at thrift shops and use them to make shelf supports! The round design distributes the weight evenly, and with the lids on, they are even more sturdy.

They are great for food storage, esp' if you zip-lock each thing you put in like different bags of pasta, chips bags, etc.

I also use them for cat food and litter, as they are great to stack in the pantry.

Line them with a plastic bag and they are great for umbrellas by the door.

I will let you in on a little secret, too. I have my home inventory on cd's and on paper, my insurance and all important papers, cd's with all my family photos, copies of id's, and even my will in a small safe. That safe is in a popcorn tin. I then sit a fake plant on the top that slips just enough inside that no one can tell the difference. When I know that I have a fire, or I have to evacuate for any reason, I ditch the plant and grab the safe.

Something to keep in mind.

All ideas are great ones, which I already have in practice, mostly. I have them in 3 rooms as trash cans. I get the ones with snowy scenes or something that will work for all year round, and don't even have to paint or hide the 'pretty'.

These cans do work well for storage, and I use them for keeping my birdseed for my parrot, the outdoor birdies, my dogs, and also keep one in the kitchen for storing baggies of dried fruit and veggies, which I dry myself. I have one in my camper holding rags we might need to clean things off outside. If it rains on the can, it doesn't hurt it one bit. Squirrels cannot chew into them to get to the seed or dog food. And they are a reminder that Jesus was born to save us all, every day of the year!

Outdoor small ceramic Christmas decorations intense, I wrapped them in tissue paper and place them in the tinsand then place the top and they're kept in a closet also put Christmas Linens that are small folded very tightly and placed in the tins. CDs and DVDs can be stored in the tins for holiday music and movies., small Christmas ornaments can also be stored bad category such as angels. Toy soldiers, rolls of decorating ribbon, etc.