Decorating a Room With a Safari Theme

I was wondering how to decorate my room in an African safari theme on a budget and in a tight space.

Jay from Hampstead

I had a friend do this and she took lepeod and zebra material(sheets) and wet them in liquid starch. She wrung them out and applied them to the walls. When they dried you would swear it was wallpaper. When she came to the seams she just overlapped them and you couldn't tell where they ended or began. She kept them up for 2 1/2 years and when she took them down they just peeled off and she washed them and they were as good as new!

Use an old wooden screen door for the closet door. Great for any type of outdoor scheme.

A person I knew bought a set of overstuffed upholstered furniture that was a dark mustard yellow with a black irregular print. It looked exactly like an African themed cloth. The more I saw it, the more African it looked, although this was not the intent of the person. You might want to think about using these colors.

Try rugs. They are relatively cheap. Also try animal print scarf type drapes. Paint is cheap too. Use dark mahogany colored furniture.

Hi I am doing my sons room in safari and checked here for addidtional info and thought you all might like this. I am a consultant with tatouage and they hava a great line of products to decorate with . I just put up the new safari scene and it is awesome. to order go to and at check out us code CarDun80 for a discount.its very reasonable priced for the quality and size

for a bed hang a hammock on the wall and pile with pillows. and if you can't afford a dresser, take your suitcases( so cheap at goodwill) and use them. fill with clothes and stack. won't look tacky. will look like you live in the jungle!

Regarding the whole safari/rainforest/jungle theme, my 12 year-old and I just completed her first mural, a leopard in green foliage found on We're moving her from a smaller bedroom where the walls are covered with large suede leaf placemats and metal gecko sculptures to a larger room. We first painted the walls a light gold/tan color. We then completed the mural. We plan to hang bamboo roman shades on the windows. We have already reassembled a large makeshift valance of green leaf and monkey placemats. The effect is as if the monkeys are hiding in the treetops. We have yet to replace the leaf placemats and geckos to her walls, but I expect awesome results. We attach the leaves with adhesive velcro dots. We have African drums and carved animals, along with her metal bird sculptures, which we may add if there's enough room. It may take some time, but I'll post pictures when everything is complete.

My son's room is jungle for 50.00:

We used braided bale twine (free with the hay -thanks grandpa) and made vines that hang from the ceiling. We wrapped the rope and leafy garland from the $ store. We made 2 nets for toys in the corner one on top of the other and wrapped the edges in the leafy garland. We put the garland all over the room along with braided twine. We used my sons collection of monkeys and for the bed we used yards of tulle fabric to make a misquote net. We hung twine and vine tightly on a curtain rod for the curtain top and some green tulle for the lower curtain. The family $ store has some nice framed art at a reasonable price. Go to the Salvation Army, goodwill, or thrift stores and yard sales! I got a small foot locker from a yard sale for 1.00, that was red with a sports logo on it and I painted it black and I used liquid starch on tan fabric strips from old pants and weave top to look like basket. (I used hot glue on the edges and edged it with a flat 4 braid of twine.) I also got some stuffed parrots and a safari hat. When we finished, our room cost about $50.00 (tell friend and family what you are doing they will often have things you can use and will give them to you) think outside the box! Just because it is a sheet doesn't mean it can't be a curtain. If you tare cotton it frays and can just be left unhemmed, or you can glue twine to it. Twine is available in a BIG spool at a farm supply store like Cenex.

Calendars are a great place for cheap animal art/prints.

Cool, thanks, this really helped me with my room!

I took shades of green streamers from party city, twist them together and run it around the door frame. I even put it on the hand rail going up the stairs, With a caterpillar stuffed animal on top of it. Also from ikea a life size bright green snake on the dresser and I put a small stuffed animal in the snakes mouth! (make vines from brown paper bags, cut the bottom out and cut one side, then twist it you can staple gun it to the wall. I have had mine up over 1 year. And it only took about 2 min.)

lots of fun jungle bedroom decorating ideas

I am going to paint my room jungle but I don't know where to find decorations that will fit the theme I want. I want to paint my room like the jungle in the game pitfall if anyone has played it it is great and it has great jungle sounds.

I just went to family dollar and bought a safari theme picture with a nice wood frame, cheetah blanket, cheetah desk lamp and a black and gold safari vase. All this was just $26.00. Ebay also has some interesting safari items. Im also running fishing line zigzag across the ceiling.I purchased palm garland on ebay and will be stringing that across. HomeDepot sells rolls of bamboo reed. I bought it for $38.00 a roll to place on two walls. I'll post pics before and after when its done

September 15, 2005 Flag

I'm doing my room in safari theme. Does anyone have a frugal ideas for decorating, etc?

Bonnie from Illinois

Painting a Jungle 09/20/2005
My daughter did this, it was great. She used matt white emulsion as a base, then she used tins of mix up poster paint to paint all the jungle. If you buy red, yellow blue and black you can mix every other color. She scrounged odds and ends of emulsion from other people as well.

She painted clouds and leaf canopy on the ceiling, and hung paper birds and butterflies. It looked lovely!

By ecoangel
Binoculars 09/20/2005
Hang a pair of binoculars as decoration.
By Cheryl from Missouri (Guest Post)
Ideas 09/20/2005
Remember to send finished photos. Check out Michael's or JoAnn's for ideas. Also, if you happen to be lucky enough to have a Cost Plus Market Place they have all different culture's theme's. You can also check out the paint section of Lowe's or Home Depot, check out the little paint booklets for ideas. Never know, you just might find something there. Have fun.

Holly in GA

By HolJen
Trellis and Mosquito Netting 09/21/2005
We did this in my daughters room. On 1 wall we hung a bamboo type trellis that can open wide. We found it in a garden section of a department store. We hung over her bed the mosquito netting and found a bamboo side table. To complete the look we bought bedding at the superstore, looks great and inexpensive. We also have added a few safari like pictures for the wall. Let us know how you make out.
By Debbie/Canada (Guest Post)
Cheap Cloth at Wal-Mart 09/22/2005
In the back of Wal-Mart by the cloth they always have leftovers of cloth that is really cheap. Some less than a dollar. I always see animal prints or furry material. Take some and wrap a frame or table or anything you can think of. A very cheap way to add animal prints to your room.
By Christi (Guest Post)
Safari Theme 10/09/2005
I am in the process of completing the same type of theme with my daughter. You can buy chalkboard paint at an paint store. I decorated a portion of my daughters wall with this and then painted in leopard print around it to dramatize it. You can also use bathroom shower curtains for bedroom curtains. Use raffia to tie up the curtains. Get your child(ren) to cut pictures out of books (animals) and collage it on a desk, picture, lampshade, etc.
By barb (Guest Post)
The Dollar Store 10/25/2005
We have a relative that did her whole house in a safari decor. She got a lot of her stuff from the Dollar Store: animal prints, palm trees, tribal gear (masks, spears, etc).
By badwater

Home and Garden Home Improvement DecoratingMay 7, 2006
Safari Theme Birthday
Safari Theme Birthday Party Ideas
A picture of the Eiffel Tower.
Decorating a Room With a Paris Theme
Mexican hat
Decorating a Room with Mexican Theme
Room With Many Doors
Decorating a Room With Many Doors