Stretching Tuna for Tuna Salad

I don't know how many of you have noticed, but tuna now comes in 5 oz. cans, not 6. The price didn't go down either! That's a 17% decrease in the contents!

To stretch it further in sandwiches, I have a number of favorite add-ins: a chopped up hard-boiled egg, diced apples (I use Gala, because they're a little sweeter, and really cut the "fishy-ness" of tuna), celery, and even shredded carrots!

I add half a small-ish apple to one can of tuna, a big sprinkle of carrots, and/or one egg per 5 oz. can used. I also treat the celery differently than you'd think.

I *hate* soupy tuna, and celery is mostly water. I chop up the celery, then wrap it up tight in a clean cloth or paper towel, and squeeze it hard. This gets a lot of the water out so that, if I use only part of the tuna in a day, the next day's batch will be just like I like it.

By Pollylev

Another idea is a handful of cooked and drained fine egg noodles mixed in as an extender. I was served a tuna salad sandwich using this idea by a friend.

I chop a large Vlasic zesty dill pickle or two, squeeze out the juice because I can't stand soupy tuna either, and add fresh diced onions or dried minced onions :-) Yummy :-)

Years ago I ate some tuna salad I loved and asked the girl who made it what she did different. She adds crushed up saltine crackers along with the eggs, pickle, mayo, etc. For one can of tuna add about 10 crushed crackers. The tuna is not so fishy or watery. I won't make it any other way and everyone loves my tuna.

Years ago, a friend of mine worked in a deli. He told me that they used to stretch the tuna by adding plain white breadcrumbs to it - I had eaten the tuna there many times before and thought it was just pure tuna and mayo - I had no idea the breadcrumbs were there!

I drain the tuna and give the juice to the cat then add sweet pickle cubes, dried onion, celery, craisins or other dried fruit or a small chopped apple, 1 boiled egg, mayo to taste and 1/4 tsp. black pepper. I have this 2 X a week. This is the only way I like tuna.

I would like to try the crackers or bread crumbs as suggested but don't want the extra carbs although it sounds very good.

Tuna Salad with tomatoes, white beans, and cucumber.
Stretching Tuna for Tuna Salad
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsAugust 31, 2009
tuna macaroni salad
Tuna Macaroni Salad Recipes
Tuna Wrap
Tuna Wrap Recipes
Tuna Tetrazzini
Tuna Tetrazzini Recipes
tuna pasta salad
Tuna Pasta Salad Recipes