Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cleaning Grease Buildup on a Gas Stove

How do I clean baked grease on the back of a gas stove?
Thanks.

By J. Burden from Boulder, CO

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By April L.12/11/2013

I figured out that baking soda and vinegar work the best with a little elbow work.

By Danialle [3]09/30/2009

I clean mine with GooGone and a Magic Eraser.

By Cookie Stephens [5]09/29/2009

I learned this from my aunt. She uses oven cleaner for cleaning the top of her gas stove and it looks brand new.

Here are questions related to Cleaning Grease Buildup on a Gas Stove.

Question: Cleaning a Stove Top

I have got a black, thick grease ring around my stove burners, as if it's charred. Any suggestions for how to remove it?

Jennie

Most Recent Answer

By Litter Gitter [97]04/04/2014

My stove is white enamel and I used Easy-Off oven cleaner to remove buildup from around the stove eyes. After lifting the eye and removing the pan and ring, I sprayed the enamel with the oven cleaner and put plastic wrap over it and let it sit for a few hours. It worked just like it does when cleaning the oven. I was able to wipe it off leaving the enamel nice and white. You need some good ventilation, like having the windows open, when you do this.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cleaning Grease Buildup on a Gas Stove

I just recently got a new Thermador stainless steel gas stove top with 6 burners. The burners are already stained from grease buildup. I tried Easy Bam and 409, nothing is helping these old stains. Any suggestions?

Barbara from La Canada, CA

RE: Cleaning Grease Buildup on a Gas Stove

What worked for me was plain old vinegar. I was able to get most of the grease buildup off this way the first time I did a deep cleaning, but it also helps to put some in a spray bottle and spray your stove before you heat anything. It seems to make the gunk clean off easier. I spray the outside of teapots and pots/pans, too, before I'm about to use them, so they clean up easier. (08/27/2006)

By gwgeiger

Try scrubbing with baking soda and a damp cloth. This works very well for me. (08/28/2006)

By jlxian

Try using coke. It works great as a grease cleaner and is cheap (08/30/2006)

By Joy

Soap filled steel wool pads, also known as SOS pads and some elbow grease (also known as effort) will be what it takes to remove burned on grease splatters. I assume that's what you're referring to when you say "stained from grease build up". (08/30/2006)

By Grandma Margie

I use Dawn dish liquid. I put a little on a wet cloth and get the stove soapy and then wring out the cloth and wipe off the soap. May have to wring out a couple times. (08/30/2006)

By ditzy46

Arm and Hammer washing soda! Cleans everything with little effort. Non-toxic and very cheap. SOS pads, as mentioned above work great too. (08/31/2006)

By Mary

Regardless, remember to cover the holes of your gas elements WELL or risk clogging/ruining them. Read the mfg. suggestions in the owner's manual for best advice on cleaning his product. (09/05/2006)

By Lynda

***

Cleaning Grease Buildup on a Gas Stove
*** I have an old O'Keefe and Merritt Gas Stove. It has a grill and boiler, I need to clean under the grill. How do I get rid of the old food build up? I also have the water heater next to the stove and it has built up grease, how do I get rid of that as well? Thank you in advance for your help.

Naomi from San Francisco, CA

If you find nothing else that works, try one of those portable steam cleaners with a long nose and brush at the end. I worked for a large rental department of a real estate company for a while and found tenants seldom cleaned very well. I tried all kinds of cleaners and chemicals, even TSP, tri-sodium-phosphate, very harsh and somewhat dangerous. The steamer did the trick and did not damage any thing else, good luck. (02/23/2009)

By Leo the repair guy