Find Worms for Fishing

Do you fish with worms but don't want to dig up the yard looking for them, and don't want to purchase them? Then get out your pitchfork, bury the tongs all the way in the ground by standing on the pitchfork. Then, with the flat of your hand, bring the handle of the pitchfork towards you, then pull your hand (still flat) back towards you, and off of the pitchfork.

If the pitchfork continues to vibrate once your hand is off of it, you are doing it correctly, it isn't hard. Do this a few times and earthworms will wriggle out of the ground, simply pick them up and place in a can that has moist soil in it. Because the earth is vibrating, the earthworms will come up. For more earthworms, simply move to another spot.

If you try this and no earthworms come up, that means there are none there. Move to a location that has fertile soil and try again.

By Amuck from Fairview Heights, IL

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

As a kid, I remember going out to a barrel and emptying coffee grounds into it. It was full of worms. They were trout magnets. My job was to tear the worms in half and bait the hooks. My cousin's job was to gut our catch and auntie's job was to freeze them in half gallon milk cartons filled with water.

I find lots in my compost heap, around the edge. And when I had composting earthworms in the house (red wigglers) they particularly loved apples. You could always find lots of them in composting apples.

It is called Worm Charming. In England they had a competition and a 10 year old girl won it by sinking a pitchfork in the ground, then beating on the handle, causing vibrations. She "charmed up" 567 worms in the competition, and broke the previous world record of 511 worms listed in the Guinness Book of World Records.

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/06 ... -sets-new-record/UPI-68561246307679/

Obviously, this method works.

Comment

Taking the kids fishing? Need some worms? Well you don't need to digging up half the yard or drive all over town looking for someone who sells them either. Here's what you do - Take a large container (bucket, bathroom waste basket,etc) and fill it with water. Then add about 3 giant squeezes or 6 Tablespoons of liquid dishsoap. Stir it up and take it outside. No, you're not washing the car so don't worry.

Find a good spot in the lawn and dump it on the grass in a 1 foot area. Give it about 5 minutes and the worms will start to come out. Just make sure you have a container to put them in. Now jump in the car (don't forget the kids) and go fishing. Remember your sunblock ;)

By Suzanne S.

Find Worms for Fishing

Yes! You can use dishwashing soap, or bleach with warm water. (09/16/2004)

By Budweizer42

Find Worms for Fishing

But it kills the grass!
(07/01/2006)

By Leanne

Find Worms for Fishing

I tried it, it doesn't work. I feel like a bit of a foolish sitting with my nose inches from the grass for about 15 minutes and there wasn't a single worm to be seen! I'm a bit disappointed! (09/01/2006)

Find Worms for Fishing

Great advice! Almost as good as a worm bed! (04/21/2007)

Find Worms for Fishing

How many will come up though? (06/06/2008)

By Jched

Find Worms for Fishing

It doesn't work! I'm very disappointed by your useless advice. (06/26/2008)

By Johnny

Find Worms for Fishing

It's perfect! I got loads of worms coming up! But does it kill worms? (07/03/2008)

By sambojimbo

Find Worms for Fishing

It was astounding. We tried one place, but the ground was too hard so we had no results. We tried where there were a bunch of leaves and sure enough we got plenty. It can't magically create worms, it only brings them out; hence you should do this in a spot that is well aerated and fertilized. Where leaves gather and break down is an ideal spot for worms to be. (08/09/2008)

By Chris and Kimberly

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Travel and Recreation Recreation FishingMay 6, 2009
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Glowing fish lantern centerpiece.
Making a Fishing Theme Centerpiece
Worm Bin
Starting Worm Bin for Fish Bait
Ice Fishing
Ice Fishing Tips and Photos
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 26, 2016 at 1:55:50 AM on 10.0.1.214 in 306 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.