Taking Photos of Your Garden

By following a few simple tips you can capture and save the beauty of your garden by taking photos for a scrapbook, wall art, or future garden planning. This is a guide about taking photos of your garden.

I have gardened all my life. It has brought me much pleasure. Another dimension of pleasure was added when I began to photograph my gardens and plants. The camera picks up detail often missed by the naked eye. The pictures are becoming keepsakes, and ultimately, a means of sharing with others around the world. If you have a camera, if you have plants, take advantage of both. Let part of your legacy be pictures of your favorite flowers.

A Garden Tour~Up Close

1. This is Buddhlea, the butterfly bush. This particular plant is just one color of a fairly new series titled Buzz. It is a dwarf series. It grows rather fast. Cuttings, if taken early enough, will bloom the same year.

2. This is Portulaca umbraticola. I could never catch this bed when all the flowers were fully open and when the sun didn't wash out the colors. Thought I would try one more time. A slight improvement.

3. This little loner, for whom I made a soft, cozy bed, is a musk melon. I will try to give him all the very best life has to offer....until. Well, he's still a baby. We won't think about that just now.

4. All the food and water in the world is of no use to this cucumber blossom without the radiation of the Sun. That radiation causes photosynthesis in the cucumber plant, whereby it is able to turn water and food into a usable form. This most brilliant blossom lifts it's little head sunward and sends a silent message 93 million miles: Thank you, Sol.

5. and 6. Impatiens Bed. Usually, these two beds look very nice. This time, something is missing. Both beds had a large hosta centered within. The hostas were devoured by slugs. I had an excellent product on hand to prevent this, but waited too late to use it. No permanent damage done. The plants will return, next year. And so will I, with a bag of Bug Getta in my hand.

7. Pecan Tree Branch. Last year, I collected a bodacious helping of pecans from this tree. Looks like I'm in for a bumper crop, again.

8. Bird Feeder. My heart goes out to my feathered friends.

9. The Achimenes. Such a beautiful flower.

10. Clematis var. Jackmanii (Jack-MAN-eee-iii). This thing was over 7 feet high. Two months, ago, I cut it down to the ground to get cuttings.
Now, it stands at 6 feet and covered with blooms and bloom buds. Surprised the stuffings out of me; I had never pruned a clematis, before.

11. Rosa Playboy. The flower is much too ethereal to have been given such an earthy name.

I have many more to share. For now, I will stop with this beautiful little jewel.

12. Here is Platycodon, the balloon flower. It is the latest addition
to my ever growing family. I have a feeling we will be friends for a long, long time.

Anonymous

Doug,

I stand corrected. Thanks.

Doug

Me giving tips on photography is a bit far fetched. I know almost nothing on the subject. Still, we all had to start somewhere, and each of us might have picked up some different things along the way. My tip is 'Experiment with close up photography. You might be pleasantly surprised'.

Right now, I'm enjoying close up photography. I find that the camera can reveal things the naked eye either doesn't see, or the eye sees but is not presented to the conscious mind.

Away from close up for a minute. I just had an idea. As for the camera revealing things not normally seen on a conscious level, I invite you parents of teenagers to try an experiment.

Pick a time when the lad's/lass's room is at it's absolute worst. Rather than taking them to their room, opening the door and saying 'Just look at this mess. Get busy, like yesterday'!; you could take a picture of the room and present it to them instead.

I guarantee you, no matter how many things you would have pointed out about the messy room, the picture will reveal many more, right down to that sock half way out, half way under the desk. Didn't notice the sock with your naked eye, did you?

Now, back to close up. I think zooming in on a subject opens up another realm, again revealing beautiful detail the naked eye would miss. I can see several applications for this kind of picture. The first to come to mind is to have a particularly nice close up blown up large enough to be used as a wall hanging. Some of them would surely be conversation pieces.

While photographing this morning, I took a few close up shots. I hope you find them interesting. Keep in mind, I do not have a professional, expensive camera.

Picture 1 is of Arborvitae Emerald Green leaves. I find it particularly interesting.

Picture 2 is moss growing on a maple tree root.

Picture 3 is of an Aspidistra leaf. Rather stunning. I've named this picture 'Emeraude'. As art deco as it gets.

Picture 4 is of Russian comfrey Bocking 14 leaf. I bought several of these plants. When composted and used as a fertilizer, they are said to be better than any fertilizer you can buy. I grow them because they are such a beautiful plant.

Picture 5 is lichen growing on a maple tree root. Little niceties such as this seldom go unnoticed in my garden.

Picture 6 is a close up of the Turtlehead bloom.

Picture 6b. Here I have superimposed a picture of a real turtle head on a turtlehead bloom. Now, you can easily see how the plant got it's name.

Get close up with your camera. Get cozy with it, even!

Here is a close up of a seed pod from one of my decorative grasses. It had fallen from the stem onto a small flint stone.

photo of white lily with sun rays

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 5

Breaking the rules of photography can capture some glorious surprise results. Like shooting into the sun when photographing your garden beauties.

moonflower (Ipomoea Alba)

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

A lot of us are proud of our moonflower vines. We like to take pictures of them in bloom. With the blooms opening at night, we aren't always able to get the picture we would like. Some cameras take better night pictures than others. Even so, the more natural light available, the better.

Snowdrops peeking up through the snow.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

You may not have many (if any) flowers blooming in your garden right now, but the winter season still offers some great opportunities for photographing your garden.

Throughout the spring and summer, snap photos of your gardens so that when planning the next year's gardens, you can refer to photos and decide what to plant where, what needs to be moved to where, etc. Unless you have a steel trap mind, this is very handy for remembering!

Today I went outside and was enjoying my garden so much, and I had an idea. I went around with my cell phone and took pictures of my favorite flowers in bloom. I have about 8 pictures that I can use as wallpaper on my phone. These pictures will to remind me of my lovely flowers in the dead of winter. I also managed to get a picture of a beautiful yellow monarch on our butterfly bush. What a treat!

bee on a flower

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a beautiful photo of the work of spring, both gardener and wildlife. Take floral photos with an interesting theme. Normally it is a patience game, just keep an open eye and have a little free time.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
While I was taking pictures of my roses, I decided to get really close. This is what it looks like with the sun shining through it. I love it!

Photo Location
Loyall, KY

Comment Like this photo? 2

The orange color just make the rose lovelier to see.

Reply Like this photo? Yes