Recipes for Feeding a Family Inexpensively

I am looking for cheap recipes that will feed a family of 5. Thanks.

By Angie from Searcy, AR

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

I that think one of the most important things to save money is to make sure that all (or at least most!) of your family enjoy the recipes you are using. This will cut down so much on waste food which is after all wasted money.

So, sit your gang down and find out what they like, don't mind or absolutely hate then use this as your guide to look on thriftyfun which has a load of recipes for most things. The copycat recipes are especially great when on a budget.

If I had to choose one thing though it would be basic spaghetti sauce/chilli made with ground beef so it doesn't have any hard bits in it!

I don't have recipes for these meals but they are economical. Chili, I use as many cans of beans as needed to make a large enough batch for the number of people I will be serving. Beef stew is economical. Goulash any way that is what we call it. I use hamburger(ground beef) in all of these foods. I never use a pound, usually limiting it to 1/2 to 3/4 lb. Then for the stew I add onion, celery, carrots, and potatoes and whatever seasonings you desire. The goulash is the same, I use hamburger, pasta of your choice and you can use as much as needed to stretch the meal. I always add a can of corn and a can of diced tomatos and tomato soup. Some people subsitute cream of celery or cream of mushroom soup, but we prefer the tomato soup. Basically for these recipes, which I learned from my Mother and it is toss some of this and some of that in the pan.

One large skillet Dinner

Brown hamburger (About 1 to 1-1/2 lbs)

add one chopped onion & let brown with hamburger.

Drain any excess grease.

Add 1 can stewed cut tomatoes

1 can Rotel

1 can nacho or chedder cheese soup (or Cheese whiz)

blend together.

Add 1 small head chopped cabbage. simmer until cabbage is tender.

Serve with hot cornbread.

Orange Salad

2 pkgs. sugar free orange Jello (small boxes)

1 small can Mandarin oranges, cut in halves

1 can crushed pinapple - drained (15-20 oz.)

1 container cottage cheese (16 oz.)

1 container Cool Whip (8 oz.)

Mix and refrigerate until ready to serve.

How about meat loaf

l lb. each ground beef and ground turkey

l cup oatmeal (use more to "stretch" it further)

l finely chopped onion

l egg

l small can tomato sauce

alt and pepper to taste

Mix all together and form into a loaf. Bake on top of broiler pan so that the fat drips into pan below. Or you can use a loaf pan. Bake at 350 for one hour. If there is any left over, it can be used for sandwiches the next day. Serve with potatoes or rice, salad or green vegetable. Enjoy!

This website has an entire "under $10" section in the sidebar. found some great ones here: http://feastonthecheap.wordpress.com

http://AllYou.com just listed recipes for under $1 per serving

This version of "spaetzels" (dumplings or homemade noodles) is easy and very cheap and filling, although it isn't really that nutritious. I use white/wheat flour to make it a little more nutritious. Put a few spoonfuls of flour (1/4 cupish) in a dish, and make a well in the middle of the flour. Add water slowly and mix from the inside out, so that you gradually form a flour/water dough. Roll into a cigar shape, and cut small pieces into a pot full of boiling chicken stock, soup, or water. When they float to the top they're done. They're good in soup, or with some salt and pepper. For a variation, add some onion powder to the flour. As I said, they're cheap, but tasty and filling. I think they end up costing 5 cents a serving, and that's if you use expensive flour.

Answer

A woman looking at her shopping list in a supermarket.
Feeding a Family Inexpensively
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cheap MealsJune 10, 2010
Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
Foliar Feeding
Foliar Feeding for Garden Plants
Stray cat in a doorway.
Feeding Stray Cats
Teens Eating Pizza
Saving Money on Feeding Teens
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 29, 2016 at 1:18:21 AM on 10.0.0.200 in 670 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.