Adopted Dog Does Not Have All of Its Shots

I just got a year old dog from someone and they only had the parvo shot. Should I tell the vet he didn't receive the other shots, so he may get them?

By pk from Pittsburgh, PA

Absolutely, you should tell the vet. Your dog needs to be on a regular schedule of shots. Not doing that is simply irresponsible.

Hey PK. Your question baffles me a bit. Are you scared to tell your vet your dog has not had the shots? If I were you I'd simply be upfront with my vet, explain how he is a young rescue (one year old), and ask how the vet can help you get the dog up to speed with the correct vaccinations.

I can't imagine a good, decent and kind vet not willing to work with you and your pup to catch up with what the first owners failed to do. If you encounter a cranky, irrational vet (I'm so sorry) drop that vet like a hot potato and find more compassionate services elsewhere. Your pet needs this advocacy from you.

You are doing the right thing by being honest with a vet about your dog's lack of health care before he came to live with you. Good luck and bless you for rescuing this creature. :-)

Please, no. Vaccines destroy the immune system. Get on vaclib.org and see for yourself the ingredients like mercury, antifreeze, human fetal cells, rotting monkey brains on and on. I am well studied, more than 20 years, on anti-vaccine. My step grandson (3 months old) died 3 days after a vaccine. I have multiple sclerosis from a vaccine. I have treated dogs with vaccine poisoning. Often times the parvo vaccine gives parvo. Build the immune system, don't destroy it. Read my past posts on good food, allergies, health and you will join the battle against big pharma and big corp crap dog food. Did you know dog food from the grocery store aisle destroys your dog? It contains poisoned animals. Euthanized and gathered from the pounds. This poison does not cook off. Build the immune system. Don't tear it down. Natural products like borax in the carpets to kill fleas. Diatomaceous earth (FOOD GRADE ONLY) for worms. love your dog. He is the best friend a person could have.

Hard to believe the veterinarian who administered the original parvo shot never advised the owner to have the complete c5 including kennel cough that no registered boarding kennel will accept animal without sighting current certificate. With no disrespect, common sense should tell you to inform your vet of this situation.

I know some people say not to vaccinate but if you want your dog to live a long healthy life you will get them done. Especially if your dog is going to be around other animals, including wild animals, or areas where fleas and ticks are common. Your dog should also have monthly heart worm meds.

Rabbies shots are legally required throughout the US as well as distemper shots. Besides the parvo shot your dog has already had there should also be shots for kennel cough. Some shots need to be done every year while others only every two or three. Your vet will let you know which need to be when.

Pets Dogs AdviceFebruary 27, 2011
House Training an Adult Dog
House Training an Adult Dog
family photos
Making a Photo Calendar
Helping Kids Get Shots
Helping Kids Get Shots
Locating Adopted Relatives
Locating Adopted Relatives
🎄
🍂