Grow Your Own Food

Groceries, believe it or not, are the absolute easiest place to cut back your expenses. So I figure, whatever you can grow, especially if it re-seeds itself, you don't have to pay for except when you buy the seeds. My husband raises a great big garden because that's what he loves to do. We also have fruit trees and berries.

In my flower beds along with lots of blooms there are Egyptian walking onions, parsley, spinach, mustard greens, sage, tarragon, lettuce,lemon balm, feverfew, garlic, comfrey and more. I planted them 20 years ago, and they still come back every year.

There is no garlic better than fresh (not dried) garlic to turn your entrees and garlic bread into pure ambrosia. All fresh herbs have better flavor fresh than dried. The green (Egyptian) onions and parsley are the main ingredients for tabouli, one of our favorites!

The Thanksgiving turkey has sage in it, as do our cottage cheese patties. On top of using these herbs and veggies in cooking, I dry some for winter use and enter some in the fair. A blue ribbon pays $2, and a Best of Show pays $5. Last year my premium checks totaled $51! If I'd had the time, I could have entered the same items in the next county's fair the following week. They pay more for their premiums.

Maintaining a flower bed with herbs in it is a snap. I keep the weeds pulled and put composted manure on once or twice a year.

By Coreen from Rupert, ID

This is so interesting. I never heard of Egyptian Walking Onions. Could you explain them a bit more. If they come back each year they must be a perennial and I never knew onions and mustard greens were perennials. I love this idea and would like to start some of these in my flower garden. Also would like your recipe for cottage cheese patties, sounds delicious! suerkeene AT earthlink.net

Growing your own food is amazing! You can start small and don't need a lot of space. You can use containers, which cuts down on pests and weeds, but may require more watering. I like growing a wide variety of peppers and tomatoes, which I incorporate into dinner almost every night. I also grow dill and cilantro. Cilantro seeds are easy to gather for a new crop.

I live at 6500 ft in So. Cal mountains. Growing season about 3 months. Love that some herbs are perennials, but have not managed to hang on to them through the winter. I have only tubs and pots, no real ground space for growing. If there are specific herbs or vegetables or methods, would love to know what you know! :)

Woman holding up vegetables from her garden.
Growing Your Own Food
Home and Garden Gardening Growing Growing FoodMay 19, 2006
Woman Holding Her Mouth With Chili Pepper
Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food
Peaches Growing on a Tree with Blue Sky in Background
Growing Peaches
growing snap dragons from seed
Growing Flowers from Seed
🎄