Uses for Egg Yolks

So, you need two egg whites (instead of costly egg substitutes) but you don't want to throw out the yolks and be wasteful. What do you do? Nuke them! That's right, slip them into the microwave for just a minute and when cooked and cooked, crumble and feed to your pet for an "egg-stra" special (once in a while only) treat!

By Chorseluvr from Alamogordo, NM

My dog also loves egg yolk.

or

You could make a genuine cream pie. The filling is essentially a pudding from scratch with egg yolks added after tempering. Most cookbooks have a good cream pie filling recipe: banana, or chocolate, or coconut.

or

Freeze with a little salt in a small ziplock and when you go to make meatloaf with frozen hamburger, take the meat and yolks out at same time? Or freeze as above and add them to egg noodle recipe when you make them, if you do. Or use them with milk to make dumplings.

I cook my yolks, let them cool and add them to my dogs food.

July 20, 2009 Flag

A lot of my holiday baking recipes call for egg whites only. Does anybody have any ideas for using the yolks? I've heard that they're good for making a dog's coat shiny (the dog eats them), but I don't have a dog and the cat won't touch them. I hate to just throw them out.

Camilla

Answers:

Uses for Egg Yolks

This isn't exactly a use for egg yolks but I heard on TV that you can freeze egg yolks (or whites) to use later in recipes that call for yolks only (if there are any out there). they suggested you put them into a ice cube tray, then when they are frozen, pop them out and keep them in a ziploc bag. I haven't tried it but I keep thinking about doing it as I've been baking this holiday season. (12/15/2004)

By microjenn

Uses for Egg Yolks

Add them to fried potatoes, add extra yolks in your scrambled eggs, add into milk shakes, make lemon pie filling, etc. Or freeze in ice cube trays and if you absolutely never use them, give them later to a friend in the country with dogs and barn cats. They will be eaten, no problem! (12/15/2004)

By valleyrimgirl

Uses for Egg Yolks

You can just leave them for the squirrels. I heard that if you leave them mixed in with nuts, berries and other things, birds, chipmunks and squirrels will eat them! (12/15/2004)

By Angel

Uses for Egg Yolks

Way back when, Women would make Angel Food and either Pound, Chiffon or Sponge cakes on the same day. The Angel Food calls for egg whites, and the others call for egg yolks. Most women had recipes that used the same number of egg parts in both. Hope this helps! (12/15/2004)

By msjudishome

Uses for Egg Yolks

Find a recipe in any good cook book for home made pudding (or look on the internet for it). In place of 1 egg you can use 2 egg yolks.

Hope this helps. (12/15/2004)

By joesgirl

Uses for Egg Yolks

Regarding the egg yolks, simply boil them and feed them to the birds around your home. (12/17/2004)

By num

Uses for Egg Yolks

If your baby is suffering with severe nappy/diaper rash, smother with whipped egg whites and dry with a hair dryer. This will relieve the discomfort and cure the rash in double quick time. No joke. (07/27/2005)

By Stuart

Uses for Egg Yolks

If you're planning on making Eggs Benedict, you can always make Hollandaise sauce. Just remember that PER EGG YOLK, you can incorporate 3-5 oz. of CLARIFIED BUTTER. (12/16/2007)

By some one

Uses for Egg Yolks

If you removed your yolks to reduce your calorie intake, you don't want to use them in any other recipe. An excellent idea is to use them for paints: http://www.trueart.info/egg_tempera.htm AND http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/craftyrecipes/a/bleggyolkpaint.htm (12/07/2008)

By ncl

egg yolk in shell half
Uses for Egg Yolks
Food and Recipes Food Tips EggsJuly 20, 2009
Egg Yolk
Non-Food Uses for Egg Yolks
Soft Boiled Egg
Making a Soft Boiled Egg
Egg Salad
Making Egg Salad
Eggs in Colored Dye
Other Uses for Easter Egg Dye
🎉
🎄