Southwestern Chicken Barley Soup
Way too easy and if you live alone like me, there will be lots of leftovers to share with friends or to refrigerate and/or freeze for the future. The market I usually shop at doesn't carry pearl barley but I found it at the health food store a couple of doors away.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 3 cups water
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can chicken broth
- 1 (15.25 oz.) can white kernel corn, drained
- 1 (15.25 oz.) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can fire roasted diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup dry pearl barley
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 3 cups cubed or shredded cooked chicken
Heat olive oil in a large pot and saute' onion, bell pepper and garlic until tender. Add all other ingredients except for the chicken and bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer stirring occasionally for about 45 minutes.
Add chicken and cook 15 minutes longer.
By Deeli from Richland, WA
May 14, 20100 found this helpful
This soup sounds so yummy, I cant wait to try it!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on December 8, 2016 at 10:14:22 PM on 10.0.1.124 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us