Removing Ferret Urine Odors from Floors

A ferret lived in my home before we bought it and used almost EVERY corner in the house as it's "ferret box". Does anyone have any natural and effective cleaning solutions to remove the odor without masking it with another smell? We've already pulled all the carpets and are down to the plywood subfloor. Thanks so much!

M.A.F. from Flagstaff, AZ

My mother in law moved into her farmhouse where cats previously peed in an enclosed front porch with wood flooring. The odor was quite intoxicating. She used several bottles of Lysol in the brown bottles full strength after having soaked the wood in bleach water and allowing it to dry with the help of fans. Eventually as she continued the Lysol over the floor boards and around the corners and baseboard, the odor dissipated and family could sit there and enjoy the front porch right after moving in.

Below is my sure-fire way to remove animal urine & it's odor. If the urine has soaked down INTO a wood floor or into the walls make sure you let the enzyme cleaner also soak down into that area too! A note: Lysol, may clean & disinfect the area & may mask the odor with it's own smell, but the peroxide & the enzyme cleaner actually get rid of the problem. If you choose to use Lysol as in the previous post, I'd save it for using last, after following these directions:

---> To clean up animal urine:

# 1) Start by first cleaning the area with a Vinegar-Water solution: Use 2 -3 parts water mixed with 1 part Vinegar. White vinegar works best, but any type will work in a pinch. (It's easiest to put this mixture in a well marked spray bottle) after cleaning with this solution, Clean & Blot, with a white towel or white rag.

*** A side note: NEVER use Ammonia to clean up animal urine! Because animals will be attracted right back to that same spot to go again, since all urine is so strong in ammonia, this "fools the animals nose".

NEXT: and this is the most important step:

#2) Buy "OUT! " brand pet odor neutralizer at Walmart, it works by "eating" organic stains & odors by using "good bacteria and enzymes" it cost only $4.79 (You can use any brand of pet odor & stain remover as long as it says "Cleans with Enzymes" on the bottle)

* The main trick is to keep the "OUT!" wet so the good bacteria & enzymes stay "alive" by covering the area with plastic wrap or an unused plastic garbage bag. DO NOT blow dry area as this will kill the good bacteria that "eat" the stain & smell. "Out" smells like yummy vanilla, which is nice.

# 3) The second day: Repeat the application of the "OUT" product.

# 4) The third day: Pour plain old drugstore hydrogen peroxide on the area & let it fizz & bubble up anything that's left. Do this & I can bet your pet urine smell will disappear!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Be careful to pretest the upholstery, carpet or wood floor in a discreet area before using the Hydrogen Peroxide, just to make sure it won't fade. (I've use peroxide many, many times to clean spots on my carpet & upholstery & it's never hurt my carpet, upholstery or any clothing fabric).

* Peroxide works to remove ANY organic stain (that means it will remove grape juice which is natural, but not grape Jell-O or grape kool-aid which is artificial, anyway... you get the idea.) Peroxide will also remove Blood, Coffee, & Hot Chocolate! Peroxide is a Totally Amazing stain remover! It works by using Oxygen to "fizz out" the stain. Simple, but effective!

* (Do NOT use the stronger peroxide that women bleach their hair with. Use the cheap 59 cents peroxide that is sold in grocery & drug store's "first-aid" isle.

----> Make sure to do the above steps in the exact order I suggested, because if you use the Peroxide before the OUT! then the peroxide may kill the good bacteria & enzymes. Also, If you don't have the time, you can skip the Vinegar step. But if you REALLY want to make sure you get out ALL of the odor & stain, then follow ALL the above steps because they are all important! ...Any one of the steps posted above will work, but all together, they work even better!

For animal urine I always clean it with some carpet cleaner, usually oxyclean. Then the real trick is after the first cleaning pour rubbing alcohol onto the carpet. Then press paper towels onto the spot to soak up any extra alcohol. It kills all that pet urine odor. If it is fresh urine or vomit, I first pick up the chucks or soak up the excess urine with paper towels and then pour alcohol straight on to it. It cleans it right up. We always had lots of pets growing up and our house NEVER smelled. Good Luck!

I had a similar problem and purchased skunk odor remover, I figured if it could get rid of skunk smell it just might work. I am happy to say it worked great. It's made by "Four Paws" and your local pet supply store should have it. It's safe around children and pets , it's just water, natural enzymes(as the other reader suggested) fresh scent fragrances and mild detergent. Hope this helps.

I don't have experience with ferret odors, but "Natures Miracle" is available @ petsmart and petco and it neutralizes the odor and dissolves pet feces stains. It is around $10/qt or $30 per gallon. It works best if it is administered in a spray bottle which keeps the product from being wasted by pouring it on the stain. I hope this helps.

To avoid ferrets potty trails when I let them out I take a newspaper, like a thrifty nickle, houses for sale paper or whatever your corner gas station, k-mart, wal-mart has sitting in their walk in doorway. Fold the longer half about 1 inch up, then the shorter end but in the corner cut a slit so it looks like your making a box, bend that little tab and this fits great whatever corner your babies like to go in. Easy to pick up and clean, saves carpets, floors and baseboards because its thick and has sides. They will go to it everytime. I just stockpile on free papers. This is great to do all along the sides of their cages to and easy to pick up and take out. Here's a picture.

Ferret
Removing Ferret Urine Odors from Floors
Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsNovember 7, 2008
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
Couch with urine odors.
Removing Urine Odors from a Couch
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
🎄
🍂