Stop Your Dog From Chewing

Here is my tip for today. If your dog or puppy is chewing your home or your shoes for that matter anything, up, try some all natural clove oil. Rub a bit of clove oil on and watch out. No more chewing!

By Wendy Nan from Los Angeles, CA

Thanks Wendy!

I just might try it. Our four month old Dalmatian tends to look to chew leather and everything else of course. The clove oil might cure it! Nice tip.

Jennifer CA

Am I dense....? Put clove oil on what? Our dog is a wonderful German Shepherd who is 8 months old. We have had her for 8 months. She was abused by her first owners and the only problem we have is she will chew something when we leave, like she is nervous we aren't coming home. So I guess I don't understand what I am supposed to put the oil on. I would need to know what she is going to chew? Please help! I am so excited someone has an idea. Other than this, she is the ideal dog. And even with this issue, we adoreher, she is awesome!

Dogs-especially, young puppies and young dogs need to chew...It is the same thing with teething babies...the teeth need this. The dog needs something appropriate to chew, not something that will injure their young mouths.

I agree, but at the same time what do you give to a puppy that has demolished 2 kongs and eats wood in your yard? And always Chews on everything. Shoes, couches, anything really and I really don't know what to do and it's getting pretty expensive him ripping up all these things.

Most puppies look to chew things that smell strongly of you. If they miss you while you are gone. Get them good and tired before you leave for the day. Give them a kong stuffed with peanut butter or cheese you can put a few treats in as well, if your dog destroys kongs get the black kong. If your dog is very smart and can empty a kong in no time flat put the stuffed kong in the freezer for added chalange. Clove oil would be placed on items of yours that you don't want destroyed, like your shoes, wooden table legs or chairs and desk legs. Couches, beds, and your favorite lounge chair.

I have been through 3 couches a recliner, and a coffee table in the past like 4 months. Clove oil is a good idea but I'd rather not have oil on everything in my house. In November I'll have a baby, and I really don't want oil on his swing n stuff. I just don't know what to do. My dogs go through their toys like nothing, and they aren't left home alone very often. HELP PLEASE.

A dog in a crate
Dealing With a Dog That Chews
Pets AdviceMay 14, 2007
Portrait of a female golden retriever.
When Do Dogs Stop Going Into Heat?
Squirrel Chewing
Squirrels Chewing on Car Wiring
A couch chewed on by a dog.
Keeping Dogs from Chewing on Furniture
unwrapped gum on top of several foil wrapped pieces
Uses for Chewing Gum