Shed Sinking into Ground

I have a shed that has sunk into the soil. I have a problem trying to open the doors. Now I have to dig them out in the winter time or when it rains, because the of the water sitting in the hole in front of the doors. What should I do? and how do I go about it?

By over my head

You didn't say whether your shed is wood or metal or whether or not it is sitting on a concrete slab. Wood rots and is more prone to termites if it is sitting on the ground. If the floor of the shed is not rotted out, you can contact someone who sells sheds to find out how much they would charge to lift the shed and place a concrete slab under it. If the ground under the shed is sinking, as in a sink hole, you might need to have the shed moved to a different location.

This is only a suggestion but it makes sense.

First get yourself some railway ties. If you can't find any get some pressure treated 4 x 4s .

You can usually borrow or rent a hydraulic jack to jack up you building. If you have any construction friends or handyman friends they might be able to suggest places or tools to use.

Anyway, you jack up one side or a corner of the shed (side would be better). Place the lumber diagnally across each corner. Imagine this L is you corner place the log like this \ on the opposite corner your lumber will be /

Just to be sure I am clear your building is a square and your lumber would be like angled on the corners.

Once you support the two corners of the side you jacked up, lower it down. Jack up the opposite side and support those two corners.

Now, if you ground is real soft and you think the lumber will just sink then you need to make a better base. More complicated but doable. I can't give you all the details but it will involve moving your shed, making a cement base for it to stand on and moving it back to the new base.

Good luck.

A garden shed built slightly on a hill.
Building a Shed on Uneven Ground
Home and Garden Repair Home MiscellaneousJuly 15, 2010
Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)
Rodent Control, Closeup of Wood Mouse
Rodent Control
Closeup of hen and chicks.
Choosing the Right Groundcover
Garden Shed
Building a Garden Shed
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 14, 2017 at 8:16:31 AM on 10.0.0.69 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.