Safe Flea Treatment for Cat with Kittens

My cat just had her first litter of kittens on June 6, 2010. I knew she had fleas before she delivered, but was told that I couldn't treat her with anything topical while she was pregnant and nothing while she is nursing as well.

I have bathed the mother in Dawn detergent as well as the kittens. It has seemed to work on her, but not the babies. I have been washing them all in Dawn every two days as told to do by a vet, but it is just not keeping the fleas off them for long at all.

I don't know what else to do for the kittens. I am so worried about them and their health. Does anyone know anything I can put on them that isn't harmful to them or their mother? Please let me know.

Thank you.

By Jana from Charlotte, NC

Bath the kittens in some mild dishwashing liquid. Stay away from antibacterial or orange dish soaps. Dawn or the original Palmolive will both work.

Try using a flea comb between shampoo days. Buy one that has a double row of teeth and just "squeeze" down what you have collected from your cat down into a bowl of warm water and dawn. My cats love to be flea combed and I feel better about not putting any chemicals on them. The cheapest way to treat your home, in my opinion, is to vaccum and do it slowly and often, emptying or changing the bag everytime. Be sure to discard the bag or contents in another bag tied securely outside in the trash. Good luck!

Sisser617 has it right. I isolated the kittens, it's best with the Mom if you flea-comb her too. I put them in the bathroom for a week and flea-combed once or twice a day (helps to have a radio to listen to) until there were no fleas for 3 times. You develop a rhythm after a bit, comb, dip in hot water (with soap), wipe on towel, comb, dip etc. I had no problems after that. It may seem a pain to do, but if you get them all at first then you'll save time and energy and attention in the future. Good luck. They'll be worth it.

August 6, 2012 Flag

I have a female cat and she had her kittens three days ago. I've noticed fleas and ticks on them and don't know the best way to get rid of them. I regularly treat my cat and I only knew she was pregnant about a week or two ago. I had a feeling she wasn't a male like I was told by the people I got her from.

I've got a flea comb and have been combing her and the kittens through (as she lets me) and then putting the comb in boiling water to kill them after each comb. I've treated the mum again and treated my house completely, but they seem to just keep coming, everytime I comb through. It makes me feel dirty, as I'm a very clean person and like to keep my house and cat clean. I am feeling very guilty towards the cats. If anyone has any suggestions on what to use and how I can help the kittens, as I know they're still very young, I'd really appreciate it! And yes as soon as my cat has finished nursing she will be getting spayed.

By Natasha

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dry 20 mule team Borax will solve most of the problem. Natural product but because of newborns - caution. Not all grocery stores carry this 4 pound 10 ounce, or there abouts, box in the laundry soap aisle. Carpets carry the flea population. Sift 2 cups for average carpeted room into carpet and stuffed furniture. Leave for 2 weeks before you vacuum to rid of flea eggs, larvae and adults. No poisons on cat or kittens, wash their bed in hot water, flea comb, remove ticks with notched old credit card.

Ma ma cat needs good diet with no Purina type commercial foods. No corn wheat or soy. EVO, California natural even diamond pet foods from feed store, specialty store even some groomers sell decent food for pets. Shop on he phone. Offer fluids often. No vaccines to ruin her immune system, spay soon as kittens are finished nursing. Hope the kittens can be placed with those that will spay and neuter.

You are doing the very best you can under the circumstances. Talk to your Veterinarian about tick and flea treatment but it's hard to believe that anyone can not tell the difference between male and female animals. Good luck.

I don't have cats but my sister does. When her cats had kittens, she didn't catch them in time and fleas killed the kittens. You better get to a vet quick. Fleas suck all blood out of the kittens. Hope you get help!

June 15, 2010 Flag

My cat is a little over a year and she just had her first litter yesterday June 6, 2010. I knew that she had fleas before she delivered, but was told that I couldn't give her anything topical until she had delivered the kittens and stopped breast feeding.

This morning I noticed that the kittens now all have fleas on them. I have heard of all the risks and am very confused and concerned about what to do to get rid of them. Please someone give me some helpful advice. I am very worried.

Thank you.
Jana

By Jana from Charlotte, NC

Answers:

Bath the kittens in some mild dishwashing liquid. Stay away from antibacterial or orange dish soaps. Dawn or the original Palmolive will both work. (06/11/2010)

By pinkmellie59

June 9, 2010 Flag

My cat had got out while I was moving. I finally found her. She had kittens a week ago and I also discovered she had fleas. I've tried Dawn dish soap it seems to work on the babies, but not mom. Is there anything else that can be used that won't be harmful to the babies, but will get rid of them from mom? I want to do something so she doesn't keep transferring them to the kittens.

By tayrha from Milleville, MA

Answers:

I've heard that you can put Sevin dust right on a dog or cat and in their houses, bedding and it's safe. (10/27/2009)

By Your friend

Sevin dust can be found at Walmart in their garden center. But be careful before you put on a mother cat. Buy only 5% as 10% is very strong. Check this out before using on your cat. There may be safer things to use as this may harm a small kitten. (10/29/2009)

By cybergrannie

Good lord do NOT use Sevin. The half life of Sevin is extremely long and it's a terrible poison to have in your home, to breathe, to get on your hands, anything. Go to the vet, get a Capstar which will kill all the fleas on her for 24 hours. Then put some Frontline on her. It will take awhile to get all the fleas, because you have to break the cycle, but it will work. If you have already used Sevin, get rid of it. Clean it all out, wash everything, touch the cat as little as possible. (10/29/2009)

By alise35115

I buy this shampoo from the vet called Triple Action. No prescription required they sell it on their shelves. It says it is gentle for dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens. It really works on my two little dogs. It kills the fleas on contact and it smells great. Their web site is vet-kem.com. If you shampoo the kittens the fleas will leave the mom. (10/29/2009)

By sabrinadog

A cat scratching itself because it has fleas.
Treating a Cat With Fleas
Pets CatsJune 15, 2010
kitten with fleas
Getting Rid of Fleas on Kittens
Applying Topical Flea Medication on Cats
Applying Topical Flea Medication on Pets
Dog with a Flea Collar
Using a Flea Collar
Preventing and Treating Nosebleeds, Concerned Boy With Bloody Nose
Preventing and Treating Nosebleeds
🎉
🎄