Sitting While Sewing and Ironing

When sewing bags and crazy quilt purses, I am sitting a lot of the time. I have had 2 back surgeries, and can't stand for long periods of time, so what I did was set up my ironing board at a right angle to my sewing machine and lowered it to a comfortable height. I use a task chair on rollers, so I can just swing around when I need to iron. It's great.

Not only that, but my husband hung a fluorescent light over my ironing board to make it easier for me to see. He put a cord on it that has a switch on the cord. That makes it so much easier for me to turn it on or off.

By Judy in AL

I never would have thought of this.

I also suffer continuous back pain from an auto accident and the loss of one leg.

Thanks for this tip.

I have done almost the exact same thing in my sewing room but have a total of three fluorescent lights hanging above my work. Everything plugs into two power strips so that when I turn them off, EVERYTHING is off and I don't have to worry about leaving the iron on all day. I also have a small TV and a CD player for entertainment while I sew.

Setting Up Your Sewing Area
Setting Up Your Sewing Area
Crafts MiscellaneousMay 3, 2010
Front of a wrinkled shirt.
Preventing Wrinkled Clothing
Over the Door Ironing Board
Using an Over the Door Ironing Board
Woman Holding Up Shirt With Iron Burn
Wrinkle Free Clothes Without Ironing
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
🎉
🎄