Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Restoring the Shine on a Formica Countertop

I used Ajax cleanser to remove a spot on my Formica counter and it has left a dull mark. Is there any way to get the original look of the counter back?

By Beth from Prudenville, MI

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By AnnieB11/17/2010

Someone suggested using Mop N Glo. Thanks! It worked very well. The only thing that got my worn Formica counter top to shine again. Just follow the directions.

By Poca [1]08/15/2010

I just have a comment to make on whatever method you use on restoring your formica tops, be sure to careful what foods you place on counter then without something underneath it as perhaps the product you use is not food safe. Just thought I would add this as it wasn't addressed.

By Louise B. [4]08/14/2010

Ajax is an abrasive, and you have likely scratched off the shine. I would also suggest car polish; might work.

By anne [10]08/13/2010

Try using car wax. When we got new countertops, the installer told us to use that periodically to protect the counters - might work for you!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Restoring the Shine on a Formica Countertop

I sprayed my formica countertop with a surface cleaner containing bleach and let it sit a bit too long (got distracted!) and when I came back to wipe it off, it took the shine off of the countertop in that area. Is there any way to get that shine back? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mary P

RE: Restoring the Shine on a Formica Countertop

Try a kitchen wax made, such as Jubalee (07/13/2005)

By johnsonya

Gel-gloss is the best product I have ever seen for countertop restoration. It comes in a spray can or cream and is similar to car wax, in the way that it dries and then you rub it off. I hope this helps. (07/26/2005)

By Penny

Hi to all. I just tried "Armor-all" on my marble-looking formica and it really shines now! You can get it anywhere they sell automotive/car wax items. (02/20/2008)

By Susan

Well I'm struggling with my counter top, too. My sister actually refinished counter tops in 2 of her homes by cleaning the surface thoroughly then applying an acrylic paint with a swirl pattern. She did such a great job it looks like a marble counter top. Unfortunately in the area we live, I'm not able to purchase this paint but larger cities should stock this item. Other than that, I've been reading, use an abrasive like Comet and scrub it down to an eggshell surface. I'm going to give that a try now. Good luck to all! (03/05/2008)

By middlesis

I, too, spilled some kind of cleaner on my kitchen counter. I just purchased a can of Countertop Magic FM44 at Ace Hardware and after 1 treatment it looks 90% better. I think one more dose will do it. Good Luck. (03/11/2008)

By Dee

I have used car wax on my Formica Countertops. I used NUFINISH. It brought back the shine. (09/25/2008)

By Barbara.

How can I restore the shine to 17 year old Formica counters?

By Mimi from Cedarville, MI

You really can't, sorry to say. Once the laminate dulls, it's time to buy new or wait it out until you can afford a different material. (11/05/2009)

By Allison5

Try car wax. (11/07/2009)

By ahastings7878

I've often wondered if Rainex would help such a condition. I've even thought of trying it on my old sinks to see if shine could be restored. Good luck. (11/08/2009)

By Carol in PA

How can I clean and restore the shine on my Formica kitchen countertops that are 16 years old?

By Shirley from Westminster, MD

You really can't bring the shine back. Your options are painting it or buying new, but at least you've gotten lots of years out of it. (01/08/2010)

By Allison5

If you can still find Jubilee liquid polish I think it would work. It is pretty old, but I found some in a real old fashion hardware store. I think it was made by Johnson and Johnson. You may try to find it on line somewhere. This was made for polishing kitchen appliances. (01/09/2010)

By jabsgram

There is a product called Mop n Glow that I have used in the past to brighten up old counter tops. Just rub it on and let it dry. That should make the counter shine like new. Good luck.

Connie (01/13/2010)

By packlestax

I would like to do something with my Formica counters. I like the color, but they have gotten scratched and dull over time. Is there a clear finish I can use? I have seen what others have done for faux finishes, but I want to keep it simple. Thank you very much.

By Sandi from Scotland, CT

I have heard you can use Turtle Wax or another similar product and wax like a car. If you have a buffer even better. Think of your counters like an oxidized car. (03/17/2010)

By Lisa Kay

Some stores actually sell a wax/polish for kitchen counters and such. It makes then feel so smooth and gives them a nice shine. (03/18/2010)

By susanmajp