Homemade Christmas Gift for Outdoorsy Boyfriend

I've been going out with this guy for 3 months and Christmas is coming. He doesn't want either of us to spend money on a gift, he wants me to think of something creative and make it.

But everything I think of just doesn't sound good. He likes dirt bikes and outdoorsy stuff. I'm just not very creative. I want it to tell him he means a lot to me and be really cute though.

By Korrina from AZ

Answers

Do you know how to knit or crochet? You could make him a quick scarf or hat to help keep him warm while he's outside. If you're good (well, at least better than me!), you could make him a pair of homemade socks.

Maybe get an old picture frame and decorate it with stuff from outside (twigs, leaves, acorns, etc) OR with maybe some metal nuts (thinking about the dirt bike and he probably has to work on it from time to time) and put a pic of the two of you in it.

Do you sew? Back when my husband was my boyfriend, I made him a baseball-style shirt and some matching shorts. I worried about how well-received it would be (he didn't come from a hand-made type of home, but I did), but he really loved that shirt and wore it out. I'm pretty sure it was from one of the major pattern companies' EASY patterns.

If your sewing skill level is pretty low, you could make him a pillow. It doesn't get much easier than that, and there are so many different fabrics from which to choose. If you want to really not spend much money and recycle, you can sacrifice an old wool sweater for the pillow. Machine wash and dry it in the dryer to felt it up, then cut it up for a pillow. Even if you don't sew, there are no-sew fleece blankets you can make. They can be quite cuddly.

And, if all else fails, you can bake him up some goodies (the way to a man's heart!). One year my single mom best friend was having a rough holiday season, so I made a peanut butter chocolate chip cookie dough recipe, rolled the dough into logs, then wrapped in plastic wrap and froze them. After frozen I wrapped them in parchment (to make prettier) and attached instructions for slicing and baking. That way she and her boys could have some on-demand homemade cookies. Her boys loved it.

Best of luck to you and your boyfriend! I hope you find something great for him. And I love that he wants something creative and handmade -- sounds like a keeper! :-

Holidays and Parties Christmas Gifts HomemadeDecember 13, 2009
Boyfriend and Girlfriend
Locating an Old Boyfriend
Gift Ideas for a New Boyfriend
Gift Ideas for a New Boyfriend
A girlfriend giving her boyfriend a gift.
Christmas Gift Ideas for an Adult Boyfriend
Anniversary Gift Ideas for a Boyfriend
Anniversary Gift Ideas for a Boyfriend
🎄