Difficult to Get Computer Out of Sleep Mode

I have had an ongoing problem that is driving me crazy. My system appears to be running correctly and I have Norton 2009 internet security installed. My computer is set to automatically run any tests and updates.

Here's the problem. It seems that whenever there is an update (always during the night) my computer will go into sleep mode. The following morning it is often very difficult if not impossible to bring the computer back to life.

My second major problem is that sometimes the tower will not power up. This happened this morning for several hours. I reset everything; I even turned off the power at the power bar. This of course turned everything off. Nothing. The monitor and everything showed power, however, the tower refused to power up or even light up. Finally, I unplugged the tower for a couple of hours and when I did plug it in it did come on. The computer worked fine. I should not have to do this.

Any suggestions? Should I replace the cable or the tower?

Thanks.

By Carla from Huntington, WV

Before you replace the tower or the cable, look in the yellow pages under computer repair shops and have an expert diagnose your problem.

It sounds like the power supply might be failing in your computer. But maybe not. I would not let the updates run automatically. Shut the computer off at night so this doesn't happen. Check your computer settings to not allow sleep mode or hibernate. Maybe this will help.

Thanks for the feedback. I think that it is best to manually do the updates and disconnect hibernate and avoid all of the frustrations. Thanks, Carla

I had that problem last year. I ended up replacing "Norton" security soft ware and haven't had a problem since.