Easy Homemade Bagels Using Dough Cycle on Bread Machine

If you own a bread machine, please try this recipe!

My family loves the bagels at the local bakery that are stuffed with cheddar and jalapenos and those stuffed with feta and dill. The problem is that they cost about $3 apiece. I always thought they'd be difficult to re-create, but they aren't. I played with a recipe a few days ago and was able to make bagels that are every bit as good as the ones at that bakery. My family couldn't believe that they were homemade. I am so thrilled that I want to share the recipe with the ThriftyFun community. The following is the recipe for basic bagels. Following that recipe are the instructions for stuffing the bagels to make the fancy ones that are oh-so-good!

Ingredients

• 1 cup warm water (not higher than 110 degrees)
  • 1-1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 3 cups flour
  • 2-1/2 tsp. yeast

Directions

Put these five ingredients into the bread machine and set it up for the dough cycle. At the end of the dough cycle, take out the dough, divide it into 6 equal pieces, shape the bagels, let them rise about 10 minutes, boil them in water for 30 seconds per side, and then bake them at 400 degrees F for about 15 minutes.

If you want to make the fancy, delicious, stuffed ones, divide the dough into 6 pieces, and shape each piece into a flat rectangle that's about 2 or 3 inches by 6 to 8 inches. Put some shredded cheddar and jalapeno pieces down the middle of the bagel, pull up the sides and pinch them firmly together (the stuffed ingredients must be tightly sealed inside), and bring the ends together to create the bagel shape. Then allow those bagels to rise, boil them, and bake them just the same as the recipe above. Another good stuffing alternative is to use feta cheese and some dill to stuff the bagels.

I am so pleased about how these taste that I want to make even more. I am just sure there are some bagel stuffing ideas out there that you ThriftyFun people can share with me. I can't wait to hear your ideas!

Just read your recipe. Sounds good. Your prices must be very high where you live. I can get bagels here from our Tim Horton's for $4.95 for a dozen.

Wish I could pass you some. They are really good.

I am always looking for new recipes for my new breadmaker. I am sure I haven't quite met the full potential of it yet. Thanks for the great recipe, I LOVE bagels. I am definitely going to try this recipes. Sounds sooooo good.

What kind of flour are you using?

Is there something missing from your recipe? Sugar was repeated twice. I want to try bagel making! Do you boil in salted water? If so, how salty?

Thanks.

Made these with 2 cups bread flour and 1 cup all-purpose. And added 1 T gluten. It made 6 nice, huge bagels. I didn't do anything fancy with them for the first batch. Wanted to make sure they turned out okay for me.

I'm going to now do more with cinnamon & sugar inside. And some with cheddar cheese. And another batch with cheese & jalapenos.

If you make six they really are large. Would make a nice sandwich bagel cut in half to share.

Made these w/ 2 cups bread flour and 1 cup all-purpose. And added 1 T gluten. It made 6 nice, huge bagels. I didn't do anything fancy with them for the first batch. Wanted to make sure they turned out okay for me.

Not only are these great bagels but they were so easy to make. Thanks for sharing. I have made one batch already today and have another going in the bread machine right now.

I had to stop eating bagels because I gained weight by eating them. Enjoy all you lucky people who don't!

Making Bagels
Homemade Bagel Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts BreadsOctober 24, 2008
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
Washing Machine
Washing Machine Moves During Spin Cycle
A woman kneading pizza dough.
Homemade Pizza Dough Recipes
Freezing Bread Dough
Freezing Bread Dough
🎄