Make Your Own Brown Sugar

This is real brown sugar and tastes fresh - better than grocery stores. It doesn't get hard because of the preservatives. I did not know you could buy brown sugar until I was 25.

• 2 cups white sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. molasses for light brown sugar
    Or
  • 2-3 Tbsp. for dark brown sugar

Directions:

Pour molasses on to white sugar use your mixer, or a fork to stir till completely blended.

Look on brown sugar ingredients label if you doubt this. Use my recipe and save money

I make 4 lbs. at a time. Its easier and it stays fresh for months in a sealed jar next to your sugar and flour canister.

By GrannyJenny

True brown sugar is unprocessed directly from the sugarcane. If you're just going for color, that's different than the nutrients available from Turbinado or raw or otherwise real brown sugar. The key is unprocessed.

January 21, 2011 Flag

I think everyone knows that you can make your own brown sugar cheaper than what you can buy in the store. So I'm not really telling you anything new. I've read this same tip on Thrifty Fun numerous times, but I don't think that anyone has ever submitted a photo.

I mixed up a batch of brown sugar and used 1 cup of white sugar + 1 tablespoon of molasses. Then pour the brown sugar in a plastic bag and close with a twist tie, and store it in a Tupperware container.

Source: I've made my own brown sugar for years.

By MCW from Lewiston, NY

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

Answers:

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

Thanks so much for the picture, it really makes it looks do-able. I have been curious about making this and powdered sugar for quite a while but have never tackled it.

I have a question. If you are making a recipe, what would be the difference between simply adding in an extra Tbsp. of molasses plus the sugar, instead of mixing it up in advance? It seems to me like there might be a possibility of it not mixing together as thoroughly. Any thoughts on this?

Merry Christmas! (12/17/2010)

By jess

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

Molasses is kind of expensive. Are you sure you are saving? (12/17/2010)

By Lilac

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

Someone had posted that molasses is quite expensive. It really depends on where you buy a bottle of molasses. I buy a gallon of molasses at a restaurant supply store and is much cheaper than buying the smaller bottles in the grocery store. I use very little molasses when I mix up a batch of brown sugar and it goes a long way.

If I had to drive to the grocery store every time I needed brown sugar, I would be burning more fuel in my car than I would be spending on a gallon jug of molasses. (12/17/2010)

By MCW

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

"I have a question. If you are making a recipe, what would be the difference between simply adding in an extra Tbsp. of molasses plus the sugar, instead of mixing it up in advance? It seems to me like there might be a possibility of it not mixing together as thoroughly. Any thoughts on this?"

A cup of packed brown sugar wouldn't be the same equivalent of a regular cup of white sugar. I just find it easier to spend the time and mix up some brown sugar for future baking. (12/17/2010)

By MCW

December 17, 2010 Flag

To make your own brown sugar, mix one tablespoon of molasses with a cup of white sugar. Add more for darker and less for lighter. I worked as a professional food taster for several years and discovered that brown sugar is just white sugar with molasses. This works like a charm.

By Sandra from Saint Paul, MN

Answers:

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

Great idea, you can make just what you need, and not have to worry about it becoming a "brick". (07/17/2010)

By merlene

July 6, 2010 Flag

Have you ever run out of brown sugar and don't want to make a trip to the grocery store? Use this recipe if you have some molasses in fridge.

For 1 cup white sugar, add 1 Tbsp. molasses for light brown sugar. Add 2 Tbsp. for dark brown sugar

Double recipe if you need to.

Source: Tip.nut.com

By Elaine from Iowa

Answers:

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

I can't remember the last time that I bought any brown sugar or confectioners sugar. It's so much cheaper to make your own.

(08/19/2009)

By MCW

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

I was glad to see your post. I just today had to throw out many food items due to insect infestation, and couldn't believe that I had boxes of confectioners and brown sugars that only had only been used for one thing. (08/20/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

August 18, 2009 Flag

Did you know that Brown Sugar is really only White Sugar with Molasses mixed in with it? I was so surprised when I found that out.

August 18, 2009 Flag

Save money on brown sugar by making your own. Keep a bottle of molasses on hand and add a little to your white sugar.

March 21, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Brown Sugar
Making Brown Sugar
Photos FoodJanuary 21, 2011
Sugar Snap Peas
Freezing Snow Peas (Sugar, Chinese, or Sugar Snap Peas)
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
🎉
🎄