Make Your Own Air-wick

I made a colorful deodorizing air-wick from A Mitchum Deodorant stick case.

Step One: Take top off and clean out casing.

I use a rag and a pair of jar gripper scissors, rocked the top back an forth until it loosened.

Step Two: Clean out and screwed down the elevator.

I used a rag and got out most of the residue that was left.

Step Three: Loading the casing with what ever scent you

want. To try it out first I soaked a small piece of cloth in pine oil. It lasted several weeks in the bathroom gradually the smell was for smaller and smaller areas. Right now I ground up some real smelly soap dropped it into the case. Use whatever you like.

Step Four: Put the the applicator lid back on the casing.

Keep the cap in case you want to give or sell these air-wicks. (you never Know)

Step Five: Decorating the whole air-wick.

I as usual favor magazine pictures glued to cover the whole air-wick. I cut out a sunset from an old Country magazine complete with little poem which fits on the one side. The poem is called Country Sunset.

I actually left a cone of this sunset picture above the applicator because the whole thing resembles an expensive candle.

I took small pieces of old Christmas wrap out of the closet, dark blue and red foil and experimented to see if I could make a realistic flame. The red was too red! I used the dark blue and colored a piece off aluminum foil with orange stapled it below what flame was exposed.

I am quite proud of the whole thing. I might even start making these things for gifts. I have to experiment with other scents to see what is most pleasing and lasts the longest.

And that is Mr. Thrifty's Tip for today.

The only immediate cost was a little bit of solid stick paper glue. Maybe a nickel's worth. Everything else probably would have been just thrown away trash in most homes.

BE FRUGAL! SAVE MONEY! REUSE!

By Mr. Thrifty from Shermansdale, PA

Sounds like a good idea, but a photo of the finished product would be helpful

Thank you for sharing this. I am definately going to try this. I was wondering if you have a photo of one you could share though.

Photo would be nice!

Sounds good and something I would have never thought of. Thank you for sharing.

I'm confused as to exactly what you used to hold the scent. Just a piece of fabric stuffed down inside? Why not do some scented candle wax or the smelly jelly type stuff? You can also buy empty deodorant tubes on the net for fairly cheap. Used containers would be hard to accumulate very fast and wouldn't be completely sanitary, although I do understand that it would help the environment. They could be put through the dishwasher also. I'm going to be giving this some more thought. Thanks for the idea.

I think they already said what I wanted to say: a photo would really be nice.

Thanks Patti

This is a great idea! I've been wondering how these containers could be recycled. Having also fiddled around w/the various parts of a deodorant stick tube, the instructions were clear. Bravo!

Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes Air FreshenersJuly 31, 2006
A/C Heater Vent
Ford F150 Air Conditioner Blowing Hot Air
Repairing an Air Mattress
Repairing an Air Mattress
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
furnace air filter
Reusing Air Cleaner Filters
🎉
🎄