Milkweed Ornaments (Angel Pods)
This project, using milkweed pods, is a little tricky and probably more suitable for adults or teens. It is somewhat time consuming because of all the paint drying time, unless you leave it natural (see photo). These angels are reminiscent of corn husk dolls. They remind me of flower faeries. You could use corn husks for the dresses. Search your own area for similar materials or check out the dried flower section of the craft store.
Approximate Time: 1 Hour
- dried milkweed pod halves
- dried leaves, as shown, or corn husks
- small wooden bead
- bits of twine, excelsior, moss, or embroidery thread for hair
- gold braid, wire, dried wheat top for halo
- wire for words or tiny wreath, etc.
- other trims for necklace, etc., as desired
- acrylic paints, white and pink or blue, etc.
- twinkly paint, gold glitter paint
- Split and empty milkweed pods. Cut one pod up the center vertically to resemble wings, as shown.
- If leaves are attached to stems, keep some of the stems on to resemble arms as shown or cut tiny sections of stem and attach as arms, if desired. Arrange leaves inside wings to resemble dress as shown. Glue leaves together. Basecoat "dress" with pink or white or leave natural. Add twinkly paint.
- Basecoat inside and out of wings white and dry (or leave them natural). You may add pale pink to the inside if desired. Paint with twinkly paint inside and out. Dry. Trim edges with gold glitter paint.
- Attach dress to inside of wings as show. Trim hem of dress with gold glitter paint if desired. Attach bead for head with hot glue. Add hair. (Twine separated into sections seems easiest). Attach desired halo and necklace with hot glue.
- Now make whatever she will be holding. Use photo as guideline for twisting wire into a word with small pliers. Add beads if desired. Attach with hot glue. Add thread or ribbon for hanging with needle or hot glue.
By Cindy from Waynesburg, PA
December 2, 20080 found this helpful
Cindy you are going to known as the queen of the milkweed pod crafts. Very nice ideas you have come up with for the holidays.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on November 24, 2016 at 4:15:27 PM on 10.0.1.58 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us