Water Azaleas with Pickle Juice

My azalea bushes are 20 years old. Several years ago, I pruned them back severely, because they were getting very leggy and sparse. This spring they did not bloom for the first time in years. I found that they enjoyed an acid soil. Instead of mixing up pickling vinegar (which is the best), I use the juice from a pickle jar any other jars that have vinegar in them. After I have eaten all of the pickles, instead of pouring the juice down the drain when the jar is empty. I pour it over my Azalea plants. They do seem to love it and are thriving.

By xintexas from San Antonio, TX

I'd be careful with this because the salt in most pickles can eventually kill plants.

Not in my case. I water the bushes right after I pour the pickle juice on them and that dilutes it quite a bit. You do know that all soil contains salt naturally anyway.

Thank you for taking the time to write this!! We just bought some from Rainbow Gardens yesterday. then I find that the soil is NOT like East Texas, and I was becoming overwhelmed and depressed with all I was reading. This helped immensely!!

Growing Azaleas
Growing Azaleas
Home and Garden Gardening Helpful HintsAugust 5, 2010
Pickle Jar Candy Jars
Reusing Pickle Jars
Grape juice that is splashing out of the cup.
Removing Grape Juice Stains from a Tablecloth
Uses for Pickle Juice
Uses for Pickle Juice
Fried Dill Pickle Chip Recipes