Garden: Chinese Mantid

We don't see very many Praying Mantis in our area this size. Do you think he might be on steroids?

Update: At first I thought this creature was a Praying Mantis, but after further research, I found out it is a "Chinese Mantid". Did you know after the female mates, she often eats him? Here is more on the subject.

By Elaine from Iowa

Praying Mantis

I am correcting myself. After further research I find this is a Chinese Mantid, the largest of the Praying Mantis. Here is a link.

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/chinese_mantid.htm

There was one of those on the side of our house last summer. Huge!

We have big ones here in Loveland, CO. too. I think they are so interesting and last year I tried to catch on in a jar. Much to my surprise, it moved very fast and was very angry and it really scared me. I just wanted to see it up close. Now I will not bother them! ha!

I took a video of a mantis a few days ago on our front porch. He followed me as I video taped him from many angles and then suddenly, he jumped onto the camera then onto me! What a funny video that turned out to be! Got some excellent 'still' shots of him also. [See below] I love these insects and am just amazed by God's creation! I even watched two or three 'hatchings' and got them on video last year. Hundreds of miniature mantis babies falling out of the nest! INCREDIBLE! I wish we had more of them! They are SO COOL.

I got a huge giggle out of the steroid question ;-)

Miracle Gro-I think!

That is one HUGE praying mantis. I have never, ever, seen one so large! It makes you wonder (besides the steroids) what he (or she) has been eating!

Well if it is a "she", maybe she had a very large mate, since they devour them after mating! LOL

I guarantee you, that the reason that this "little" lady is so large is because it's a She. the Males of all the mantis family are small.... hhmm, the better to eat them, I suppose ;)

Photos WildlifeOctober 1, 2008
Sugar Snap Peas
Freezing Snow Peas (Sugar, Chinese, or Sugar Snap Peas)
Bowl of hot and sour soup.
Chinese Hot and Sour Soup Recipes
Chinese Casserole
Chinese Casserole Recipes
Bok choy growing in a field.
Growing Chinese Cabbage
🎄
🍂