Bulb in LED Flashlight Stopped Working

I left one of those LED wind up flashlights in my car on purpose. Well, the nights have been very cold and although the garage doesn't get down to freezing, you can imagine just how cold it can become. I took a walk around the block with the flashlight fully charged and one of the 4 LED bulbs dimmed out within 10 mins.

I re-wound it and all the LEDs became very bright, but as soon as the winding stopped, they went back to a dimmer state. The weak LED turned off. Is this because it's a dud, or do you think a couple of weeks in a very cold car did something to destroy it? I like the idea of leaving one of these flashlights in the car, but this may not be feasible.

Holly from Richardson, TX

The cold may have effected or corroded the metal part the bulb goes in. Take everything apart, clean it with either an emery board or small grain sandpaper, and try it again. If it's not that, then it might be a light that was a dud out of the box. It happens!

I have one of the wind up flashlights. The instructions say to turn the flashlight OFF before you rewind it. You won't get a full charge if you don't.

Try taking the flashlight in the house overnight to warm up, see if it works normally again. If not, maybe you bought a dud. Good luck.

I doubt very much that the cold you are getting is enough to cause any problems. LED lights function perfectly in the cold weather -- and I am talking -30 to -40. I am looking at my outdoor Christmas lights right now. I am not familiar with the way those wind up flashlights work, but again, I don't think the kind of cold you are talking about can hurt anything. If you were up here in Saskatchewan in Canada, you might have something to worry about. If you are not getting below freezing, it doesn't even count as cold.

Home and Garden Repair OtherDecember 22, 2008
Stuck Light Bulb
Removing a Stuck Light Bulb
LED Lightbulb
Using LED Lightbulbs
Light Bulb Vase
Making a Light Bulb Vase
LED head light
Uses for LED Lights
🎄
🍂