Harley-Girl (Golden Retriever Mix)

Harley-girl is our Golden Retriever mix and will be 5 years old this August. Her favorite hobby, besides chasing squirrels and catching frisbees, is digging for moles. She has been helping to keep the mole population in our yard down for the last couple of years, while entertaining us with her method.

She's good at spotting the mole "runs" and will dig at several intervals checking for movement. When she spots the earth move, she points; the tail is horizontal and one front paw lifts off the ground. She stands perfectly still and waits for the earth to move again, and, when it does, BAM! She lunges forward, head first into the soft earth and plucks out the mole, her face covered with dirt. We lost count last year, but I believe she caught about 20 moles.

This year she's off to a good start. Just this past weekend she's caught two moles! No traps or poisons necessary with our Harley-girl on the job!

Harley-girl is up to 7 moles this year! I think she may have eradicated our yard of these pesky pests!

Funny story! Our yellow lab loves to dig for gophers and while I don't think she catches them very often, she has fun trying.

What does she do with the Moles when she catches them?

That is an awesome story. Gotta love those retrievers!

O-M-G!!!! Hilarious! Looks just like my Bailey Belle!!!!

She is such a digger! I have put Cayenne pepper there. EverythinG!!!! My hubby says that is she will just dig a little deeper and wider he will bury her in in it!!!!! LOL!!!!!

Make that 8 moles. She got another one last night at around 6:00 pm. I was always told that moles are most active between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm, but Harley seems to find most of hers outside that timeframe.

As for what she does with them, she kinda tosses them around and paws at them.

Golden Retriever Mix
Golden Retriever Mix Photos
Pets Pet PagesJune 26, 2008
man & woman on motorcycle
Harley Gift Ideas
Golden Birthday Party
Golden Birthday Party Ideas
Muffin (Golden Retriever - Chow Mix)
Golden Retriever/Chow Mix Photos
Golden Retriever
Golden Retriever - Breed Information and Photos