Browsing: Toning Down Dyed Hair

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Toning Down Dyed Hair

If the dyed color of your hair is stronger than you expected, you may want to adjust it. This guide is about toning down dyed hair.

Dyed Hair
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 17, 2016 Flag

Recently I wanted to dye my hair darker so I used a store bought box and the color turned out way too dark. Because of this I wanted to start over and go back to my normal color so I used a Color Oops and then used a box that was the color my normal hair was. It turned out being way too dark again.

I want to go to a salon to get my hair lightened a little bit, but I don't want to really damage my hair. I was told that my hair would lighten considerably since I'd darkened my hair from a much lighter color. I'm very impatient and want to go to a salon within the next week, but if there is another way to lighten my hair that would be great.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 18, 2016 Flag

I dyed my hair in the beginning of this month, and I wanna know how long will it take to fade all the way out, or to start fading? Is there any way I can make it start fading myself?

I agree. I use Head and Shoulders to tone down a brassy dye job. Takes a few washes.

Read More Answers...

April 8, 2016 Flag

My hair is naturally almost black with gray mixed in. I wanted a dark blond to tone down the gray. It turned out dark with a red hue to it. I used a dark blond color, I'm wondering if I highlight my hair using an ash blond will it tone down the red and lighten my hair.

I have black hair I put violet/red highlights but it's too much I need to tone it down. What do I do

Read More Answers...

September 14, 2015 Flag

I dyed my hair permanent black and it's too dark. I want to dye it to dark brown. What can I do?

I know this is old...but for future reference, their is a box at the store called "oops" or something like that. It's about $10 - I used it turned my black dyed hair to golden light brown!!!! There ya go 

Read More Answers...

February 6, 2015 Flag

I recently dyed my hair on my own at home and I want it to be somewhat more lighter then it is now. Does anyone know if I went to a salon if they would be able to make it lighter although I just dyed it a few days ago?

By Anna from MO

YES, It will have to be bleached to go lighter though.

Read More Answers...

March 4, 2016 Flag

How can I darken my front row red highlights, as it looks so ugly? Please give me some advice.

Read More Answers...

January 17, 2015 Flag

What can I do to fix my orange/yellow hair?

By Marge from Brandon, FL

What color can I used to change a color light blonde with very little red . I want little more dark like very light Auburn with gold and red ?? Thanks .

Read More Answers...

December 2, 2014 Flag

I dyed my hair a reddish brown and it turned out more red. How can I lighten it so it's not as red? My natural color is blonde.

By Summer

Wash your hair back to back several times & use dish soap. You will see the color wash down the drain. If thats still not enough try using a color refresher such as John Frieda in brown. It will help to tone down the red. Good luck.

Read More Answers...

March 7, 2015 Flag

I went to a new hair dresser and I am so so upset. Usually I have highlights. Today she colored my hair first and then did the highlights and I look like I am wearing a yellow wig with an orange tint! How can I wash this out?

By Lisa

You should immediately return to the hair stylist/salon with your complaint and request an immediate correction for the problem. They should be able to provide a reasonable solution for you. If they do not help you, you can report them to the Better Business Bureau in your area.

April 13, 2010 Flag

I dyed my hair and it turned out too red. How can I tone it down without doing too much damage to my hair?

By Marion from Sioux Lookout, Ontario

I dyed my hair red it Turner to red kinda purple can I use lemon juice to tone it down.

Read More Answers...

March 4, 2015 Flag

7 days ago I colored my hair dark brown, it started washing out and getting a red tint to it. The hair dresser stripped it down too much and it turned orange. She said just let it grow out, so I did not pay her. I then went and got a hair color to try and cover the orange, label - Loreal 7 A. Now it's orange, red, and brassy. Can anyone help?

By phillipj from NC

Something like that happened to me in 1994. That was when I decided to never do anything chemical to my hair again. I have shiny hair with a bit of natural wave (didn't know that before), and like my brown/silver color.

However, the orange... find a product that is basically a rinse, and temporary, and use that until the color sort of normalizes. Avoid any more peroxide based hair color (most) if you can. Keep trimming a bit at a time.

February 23, 2015 Flag

My hair is grey. I have been having the hairdresser do light brown for years. Of recent my current hairdresser was using 6 or 7? My hair gradually was getting darker each time she did my color. I asked to lighten it back up and we ended up with black/greenish.

Load More
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringApril 2, 2013
A woman doing leg curls.
Toning Your Buns and Thighs
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 6:58:43 PM on 10.0.1.174 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.