Toning Down Dyed Hair

If the dyed color of your hair is stronger than you expected, you may want to adjust it. This guide is about toning down dyed hair.

July 18, 2016 Flag

I dyed my hair in the beginning of this month, and I wanna know how long will it take to fade all the way out, or to start fading? Is there any way I can make it start fading myself?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Wash your hair everyday with a clarifying shampoo, or any shampoo that is not for colored hair.

I agree. I use Head and Shoulders to tone down a brassy dye job. Takes a few washes.

Read More Answers...

September 14, 2015 Flag

I dyed my hair permanent black and it's too dark. I want to dye it to dark brown. What can I do?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You cannot apply brown hair color to hair previously colored black and get a brown shade. There are warm tones underneath the black tint. You can lift just enough of the black tint to make these warm tones more apparent.

This can be done at home in as little as half an hour and without a lot of expense. All that is required is a professional hair color remover diluted to half the regular strength and left on the hair for half the usual time. There are two musts. You must familiarize yourself with proper usage of the color remover and you absolutely must do a strand test first! Only a strand test will tell you the exact amount of time required to achieve the desired results.

I know this is old...but for future reference, their is a box at the store called "oops" or something like that. It's about $10 - I used it turned my black dyed hair to golden light brown! There ya go 

Read More Answers...

February 6, 2015 Flag

I recently dyed my hair on my own at home and I want it to be somewhat more lighter then it is now. Does anyone know if I went to a salon if they would be able to make it lighter although I just dyed it a few days ago?

By Anna from MO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You may not know that you can request a consultation with a hair stylist. If you do not know a stylist, a good salon is the best place to start. The stylist will evaluate your hair's current condition and recommend alternatives for you to consider. The stylist may require payment for the service but it would be worth having a trained and qualified specialist's recommendations.

YES, It will have to be bleached to go lighter though.

Read More Answers...

April 13, 2010 Flag

I dyed my hair and it turned out too red. How can I tone it down without doing too much damage to my hair?

By Marion from Sioux Lookout, Ontario

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Prell or dandruff shampoo will assist color fading faster. Take some Prell shampoo and apply it throughout out your hair, leave it on for 45 minutes, then rinse it out with warm water. Use a conditioner after you're done rinsing the shampoo out.

Here's another tip: Hot oil treatments will also help to strip chemically.

Bleached my henna colored hair. And dyed it grey

Turned red! How to tone down red

Read More Answers...

April 8, 2016 Flag

My hair is naturally almost black with gray mixed in. I wanted a dark blond to tone down the gray. It turned out dark with a red hue to it. I used a dark blond color, I'm wondering if I highlight my hair using an ash blond will it tone down the red and lighten my hair.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It might help you to know that black hair does not contain only black pigment. If you were to change your hair color from black to near white, bleaching would be required. The bleach would first remove the black pigment, Next the brown pigment, then red brown, then red, then red gold, then gold, then yellow, then pale yellow. After the palest yellow shade was achieved, then a toner such as Clairol's White Beige or Roux's Ultra White Minx would be applied to bring the pale yellow up to the near white/ white color.

As you have just learned, a dark blond color did not give you the desired results. All 'regular' permanent colors, with the exception of black and blue/jet black, have a slight lifting (bleaching) action. This slight lifting action removed some of the near black pigment in your hair, revealing some of the natural dark red brown pigment. I seriously you got any noticeable coverage of the grey hair.

You can probably guess by the above information that highlighting your hair with an ash blond color will not solve your problem. As a matter of fact, it will make it worse. The light ash blond will have, though slight, even more lifting action than the dark blond previously applied. More than likely, you would end up with a strange, and even redder color. Couple that with the fact that ash blond colors have a green base, you more than likely would end up with a strange, dark reddish/ greenish color.

I don't know why you chose a dark blond to tone down your grey, unless perhaps you were thinking the colored grey would appear as highlights. A better choice would have been for you to have applied a color that closest matched you natural hair color.

Assuming that your hair is darkest brown, even a darkest brown 'regular' permanent color will have a very slight lifting action, though you may not see any reddish tones til after several shampoos.

Without seeing your hair, I cannot tell you what would be best in your case. My first suggestion would be to recolor your hair, using a color that closest matches your natural color. BUT, do not use a regular color, because as stated above, they have a slight lifting action. Be sure to use a color that has NO lifting action. Check a Clairol Second Nature color chart to see if you find a color close to your natural color, as this line of color has no lifting action.

1. DO NOT apply an ash blond color to your hair.

2. After you have chosen a no lift color you think best matches your natural color, mix a small amount with developer according to package instructions and apply to a small strand of hair in an inconspicuous area and allow to develop the full required amount of time. This strand test will show what the end results will be when applied to the entire head.

It may be that using the above method will put your hair back to a color that closely resembles your natural color, however, do not expect it to be a perfect match. It could well be though, that the color will be one you really like. Good luck!

Correction

I seriously doubt you got any noticeable coverage of the grey hair.

==========

Unless your hair is very resistant, Second nature should provide enough coverage to sufficiently tone down the grey.

Since your hair cuticle has been pre softened by the application of the dark blond color, Second nature may give you complete coverage of the grey.

Read More Answers...

November 9, 2011 Flag

I know they say to only ever go one or two shades lighter/darker, but I was stupid and wanted dark brown hair. However the store bought hair dye turned out to be practically black! I haven't dyed it for a good 6 months and my roots aren't really showing and the colour is still dark.

So I used Colour B4 which is a hair dye remover. When I first did it, I loved it. It was a nice dark auburn and at least 2 shades lighter than it was. But now a week later it's gone dark again. I have read all about vitamin C tablets mixed with anti-dandruff shampoo to lighten it, so unless there are any better home remedies I will try that.

The box of hair dye remover was 12 pounds a box and I don't want to do it again just to waste 12 pounds. Please help. I do not want to bleach it because I love my luscious wavy thick hair which I am surprised I still have because of all the dying I have done before.

By EmaN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I would go to a professional hair stylist for that one!

Alternate using dawn dish soap and baking soda. Keep repeating and it will remove the color. I did mine once and after washing it five times in one bath it was a shade I could live with.

Read More Answers...

September 13, 2016 Flag

Will Oops restore my old shade after I applied too much Glam highlights from L O'real?
Thank you for your help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 17, 2015 Flag

What can I do to fix my orange/yellow hair?

By Marge from Brandon, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have done this a few times and the first thing I did was wash my hair in powdered Tide... several times to lighten the color. Not really good on hair but it will help lighten the color somewhat.

March 22, 2010 Flag

How do I tone down red hair dye? I have gone for a different dye, as my usual one wasn't stocked. Now it is too bright and looks gingery.

By Lisa from England

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I always used a medium to dark Auburn, but accidentally purchased light auburn which came out bright Red (At least to me it was too bright). I called Clairol, explained exactly what I used and she suggested a fix for me. Call them or the number on the box of the hair dye you used. They were really helpful.

That happened to me once and I found that washing the hair with baking soda toned it down quite nicely! Good luck!

Read More Answers...

June 30, 2011 Flag

I recently colored my gray hair with Just For Men and it came out a little too dark. What is the simplest way to now lighten it a little?

By Bob

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When I want to lift color I use Neutrogena shampoo. It takes off extra hair conditioner etc. so it works good to remove extra color. Just use it once or twice. It is more gentle on the hair so it won't affect the hair texture or make it dry or straw like. A little goes a long way and it will last a long time for you. Good luck. Linda

Use a clarifying shampoo like Paul Mitchell 3 ( you can find it in small sample or travel size bottles at Ulta) It will take some of the color out. Or you can use 20 volume peroxide comb it through your hair and sit in the sun for about 15 to 20 minutes and shampoo it and some of the color out. You can also mix the peroxide with shampoo and let it sit on your hair for 5 or 10 minutes and then shampoo as usual. Make sure you use a good conditioner afterwards. Hope this helps you!

Read More Answers...

December 2, 2014 Flag

I dyed my hair a reddish brown and it turned out more red. How can I lighten it so it's not as red? My natural color is blonde.

By Summer

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My hair is auburn naturally so this is what I do for light auburn:

There are 5 Tbsp. in the color bottle, so I use the following ...

3 1/2 Tbsp of Nice N Easy #103

1 1/2 Tbsp of Nice N Easy #110 and its the color that I want. If I want a little lighter I add a bit more of the 103 & a little less of 110 in the activator. This is what the people at Clairol told me to do. Good Luck

Wash your hair back to back several times & use dish soap. You will see the color wash down the drain. If thats still not enough try using a color refresher such as John Frieda in brown. It will help to tone down the red. Good luck.

Read More Answers...

March 7, 2015 Flag

I went to a new hair dresser and I am so so upset. Usually I have highlights. Today she colored my hair first and then did the highlights and I look like I am wearing a yellow wig with an orange tint! How can I wash this out?

By Lisa

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You should immediately return to the hair stylist/salon with your complaint and request an immediate correction for the problem. They should be able to provide a reasonable solution for you. If they do not help you, you can report them to the Better Business Bureau in your area.

March 4, 2015 Flag

7 days ago I colored my hair dark brown, it started washing out and getting a red tint to it. The hair dresser stripped it down too much and it turned orange. She said just let it grow out, so I did not pay her. I then went and got a hair color to try and cover the orange, label - Loreal 7 A. Now it's orange, red, and brassy. Can anyone help?

By phillipj from NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Something like that happened to me in 1994. That was when I decided to never do anything chemical to my hair again. I have shiny hair with a bit of natural wave (didn't know that before), and like my brown/silver color.

However, the orange... find a product that is basically a rinse, and temporary, and use that until the color sort of normalizes. Avoid any more peroxide based hair color (most) if you can. Keep trimming a bit at a time.

Load More
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringApril 2, 2013
A woman doing leg curls.
Toning Your Buns and Thighs
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
🎉
🎄