Toning Down Dyed Hair

If the dyed color of your hair is stronger than you expected, you may want to adjust it. This guide is about toning down dyed hair.

Dyed Hair
Filter Sort

Question: Toning Down A Bad Dye Job

By marion 1

I dyed my hair and it turned out too red. How can I tone it down without doing too much damage to my hair?

By Marion from Sioux Lookout, Ontario

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Cgeryl 1 Flag

I dyed my hair red it Turner to red kinda purple can I use lemon juice to tone it down.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Hair Dye Too Dark

By proctor957 1

I dyed my hair permanent black and it's too dark. I want to dye it to dark brown. What can I do?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By likekinds 114 508 Flag

You cannot apply brown hair color to hair previously colored black and get a brown shade. There are warm tones underneath the black tint. You can lift just enough of the black tint to make these warm tones more apparent.

This can be done at home in as little as half an hour and without a lot of expense. All that is required is a professional hair color remover diluted to half the regular strength and left on the hair for half the usual time. There are two musts. You must familiarize yourself with proper usage of the color remover and you absolutely must do a strand test first! Only a strand test will tell you the exact amount of time required to achieve the desired results.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Lightening Dyed Hair

I recently dyed my hair on my own at home and I want it to be somewhat more lighter then it is now. Does anyone know if I went to a salon if they would be able to make it lighter although I just dyed it a few days ago?

By Anna from MO

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Ginger C P. 2 Flag

YES, It will have to be bleached to go lighter though.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Lightening Dyed Hair

I know they say to only ever go one or two shades lighter/darker, but I was stupid and wanted dark brown hair. However the store bought hair dye turned out to be practically black! I haven't dyed it for a good 6 months and my roots aren't really showing and the colour is still dark.

So I used Colour B4 which is a hair dye remover. When I first did it, I loved it. It was a nice dark auburn and at least 2 shades lighter than it was. But now a week later it's gone dark again. I have read all about vitamin C tablets mixed with anti-dandruff shampoo to lighten it, so unless there are any better home remedies I will try that.

The box of hair dye remover was 12 pounds a box and I don't want to do it again just to waste 12 pounds. Please help. I do not want to bleach it because I love my luscious wavy thick hair which I am surprised I still have because of all the dying I have done before.

By EmaN

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By dph54 26 Flag

I would go to a professional hair stylist for that one!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Lightening Dyed Hair

By Ashley 1 1

I recently tried to dye my hair a dark auburn color and it just turned out dark with some red. I want to re dye my hair a lighter auburn. I found a home dye that is a hair lightener for dark hair. How long do I have to wait until I can use it?

By Ashley from CA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

thr522587 Flag

Wait a day or two after all the shampoo stripping to allow the cuticle layer of the hair shaft to close back down (or even after coloring in the first place) before coloring again otherwise you could end up right back where you started from with too dark of a color. When the cuticle layer is open the inner hair shaft reacts like a sponge. Also, you might want to choose at least one shade lighter (two would be better) than what you're hoping for because it's going to be 'color on/over color'.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Hair Dye Too Red

I dyed my hair a reddish brown and it turned out more red. How can I lighten it so it's not as red? My natural color is blonde.

By Summer

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Dana O'Neill S. 3 Flag

Wash your hair back to back several times & use dish soap. You will see the color wash down the drain. If thats still not enough try using a color refresher such as John Frieda in brown. It will help to tone down the red. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Lightening Dyed Hair With Lemon Juice

By alex 1

I have light brown hair and want to naturally lighten it with lemon juice, but I have highlights already. Will the lemon juice make the highlights disappear?

By Alex from Liverpool, England

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By dusty101 1 Flag

So, I'm a (16) yr old guy with short dirty blonde hair, I took 1/2 cup of room temperature water mixed with 1 1/2 Tbsp. of pure bottled lemon juice and 2 1/2 Tbsp. of olive oil and mixed it into a bowl and damped my hair and basically just lathered it into my hair. Let it sit for 30 minues to 1 hour, depending on how light you want your hair.

And just saying, it came out fantastic, to a great light caramel color, I didn't think it would work so I tried it. The reason I added olive oil was because I found that lemon juice really dried out my hair and made it unhealthy looking and feeling, and the olive oil really moisturizes your hair and helps sustain the color. Once you sit there for 30 minutes to an hour just rinse with water. I did this in the pm, so in the am I just took a shower using deep conditioner shampoo and my hair looks great and feels great! This is a highly recommended remedy for you!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dyed Hair Too Bright? Tone It Down Easy at Home

By lisa 1

How do I tone down red hair dye? I have gone for a different dye, as my usual one wasn't stocked. Now it is too bright and looks gingery.

By Lisa from England

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Barbara Smith 2 13 Flag

I always used a medium to dark Auburn, but accidentally purchased light auburn which came out bright Red (At least to me it was too bright). I called Clairol, explained exactly what I used and she suggested a fix for me. Call them or the number on the box of the hair dye you used. They were really helpful.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Fixing a Bad Dye Job

I went to a new hair dresser and I am so so upset. Usually I have highlights. Today she colored my hair first and then did the highlights and I look like I am wearing a yellow wig with an orange tint! How can I wash this out?

By Lisa

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

You should immediately return to the hair stylist/salon with your complaint and request an immediate correction for the problem. They should be able to provide a reasonable solution for you. If they do not help you, you can report them to the Better Business Bureau in your area.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Toning Down Dyed Hair

7 days ago I colored my hair dark brown, it started washing out and getting a red tint to it. The hair dresser stripped it down too much and it turned orange. She said just let it grow out, so I did not pay her. I then went and got a hair color to try and cover the orange, label - Loreal 7 A. Now it's orange, red, and brassy. Can anyone help?

By phillipj from NC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By PENNY K 14 564 Flag

Something like that happened to me in 1994. That was when I decided to never do anything chemical to my hair again. I have shiny hair with a bit of natural wave (didn't know that before), and like my brown/silver color.

However, the orange... find a product that is basically a rinse, and temporary, and use that until the color sort of normalizes. Avoid any more peroxide based hair color (most) if you can. Keep trimming a bit at a time.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Lightening Dyed Hair

My hair is grey. I have been having the hairdresser do light brown for years. Of recent my current hairdresser was using 6 or 7? My hair gradually was getting darker each time she did my color. I asked to lighten it back up and we ended up with black/greenish.

So the same day she tried to correct or get the green out. It has been several months, with a new attempt every 4 weeks or so to undo or gradually get back to light, not black, and it's not happening. We are both hopeful we can process some options and make a decision what to do next. My hair was thick, short, and very easy to manage. The thickness is gone. She is suggesting bleaching. I'm getting other opinions. I would like anyone's feedback. I'm thinking I might just grow it out and be grey for awhile till it gets some length and we can start over. I would appreciate your help. Thanks for any suggestion. I'm most concerned if the thickness can be restored.

By ETG from HI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Janet 11 720 Flag

In my opinion, I would find a new hairdresser. When they stop doing what you want, and mess up with "greenish" hair they are no longer interested.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Fixing Brassy Orange Hair

What can I do to fix my orange/yellow hair?

By Marge from Brandon, FL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By ky mamaw 2 4 Flag

I have done this a few times and the first thing I did was wash my hair in powdered Tide... several times to lighten the color. Not really good on hair but it will help lighten the color somewhat.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Lightening Too Dark Dyed Hair

My hair dresser dyed my hair way darker than I wanted. I don't want to go back. Can I lighten it at home? I can't stand the sight of myself in the mirror. I just wanted to go a touch warmer than what I'd been doing, a light brown more carmel. What I got was closer to black with no highs and lows.

By Michelle

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By mariebitt 1 Flag

Your best bet would be to contact hairdresser for professional help. Perhaps he/she could have you come back in and put some highlights in it or redo the whole thing in a lighter, softer shade.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Hair Colour Advice

I dyed my hair with Garnier deep reddish brown it is very dark and very red. I have reds in my hair because I have used them a few years now, mostly mahogany. I would like a more warm tone as I am getting older and my skin is paler. I do like the warm chestnut browns, but am aware that my reds would show through, but the colour I have used is very dark and red and makes me look pale.

By Pauli

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By 2ndsight 4 28 Flag

Using an "ash" color will help the red not to show through.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dyed Hair Too Dark

I dyed my hair about a month ago and it came out almost black with reddish highlights. I would like to know what color could I use to get it to more of a light auburn color. Any help would be appreciated.

By Wendy W.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Tanya 4 77 Flag

What is your natural color? For dark colored hair, ash colors tend to pull the red out. If your natural color is dark and you don't want the red, opt for a medium brown. If your natural color is a light color, opt for a light brown. I would not recommend a blond color right now, since you pulled red because red and yellow make green. I doubt that you want that.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Blue Tinge from Hair Extensions

I have recently had bonded extensions put in, but the lightest colour extensions were still more yellow the my real hair. My hairdresser suggested using purple shampoo on them to try and lighten them. Unfortunately this has just turned my extensions a very light shade of blue.

I have washed my hair about 6 times with ordinary shampoo and it hasn't budged. I then tried it with washing up liquid which has reduced it a little, but I don't want to use it again as I don't want to damage my £200 extensions. Does anyone have any idea on how I can rid of this ASAP or will I just have to hold out until it fades naturally with more washes?

By Samara

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Relli C. 1 Flag

Dish washing liquid! Wash your hair with dish washing liquid... really rub it in and then use a really good conditioner.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Toning Brassy Orange Hair

I recently tried dyeing my hair ombre with the Loreal kit for dark brown hair (that's the color of my natural hair and the kit was pretty cheap). At first I didn't leave the bleach in long enough so I added some more and left it in for a longer time. Now my hair is this brassy orange color and I can't go to a salon because I don't have the $$ and toners, again no $$. So please, if anybody has some home remedies that they would like to share with me it would really mean a lot. Thank you so much! xoxo

By Selma.P

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Ember P. 1 Flag

I've used lemon juice and heat in the past, or lemon juice and going out in the sun. It does take ages though, and I got too impatient. Vitamin C dissolvable tablets is supposed to work if you crush them and mix them with a little water. do a youtube search on naturally lightening hair, it helped me (:

-Ember

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Hair Dye Too Dark

I have natural red/auburn hair it's beautiful and I thought I would dye my underlayer a dark brown for fun and it turned out basically black. It is permanent Garnier Olvia hair dye. I tried scrubbing it with clarifying shampoo three times last night which kind of helped. I do not want to bleach my hair or go into the salon. What can I do to either fade or bring it back to my natural color?

By Goddesss

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Tone Down Red Hair Dye to Copper

I dyed my hair extensions a box dye intense red copper. I want more of a coppery orange color. How do I achieve this?

By Jen

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Lightening Accumulation of Non-permanent Hair Color

I hope to go gray someday but not just now. I don't like commitment so I use Natural Instincts and need to touch up roots every 4-6 weeks. The overlap just gets darker and darker. I have very long hair and wear it up a lot. Even though I try to "pull" chunks of color down to the ends, the ends are lighter and I hate the way it looks. Anything I can do to lift the buildup some without using a harsh preparation?

By Renee

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Toning Down Hair Color

I put a red in my hair, it looks a little orange. How can I tone it down (darken it) at home?

By Robin

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dyed Hair Extensions Too Bright

I purchased extensions and bleached them blonde with blue tips. I then decided to dye them completely blue and my extensions came out way brighter then my real hair. I love the color my real hair turned and I want my fake hair to match. What can I do to tone down the electric blue extensions?

By Michelle F.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Bleached Hair Too Light

By Shirley Chappell E. 1

I've bleached my hair and it's far to light. I need to tone it down a few shades. What is your advice on the colour of the toner to use?

By Shirley

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringApril 2, 2013
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    A woman doing leg curls.
    Toning Your Buns and Thighs
    Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
    Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
    Sink with hair dye stains
    Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
    Red Hair Dye
    Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 8:30:55 AM on 10.0.0.236 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings