Toning Down Dyed Hair

If the dyed color of your hair is stronger than you expected, you may want to adjust it. This guide is about toning down dyed hair.

Dyed Hair
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My hair is naturally almost black with gray mixed in. I wanted a dark blond to tone down the gray. It turned out dark with a red hue to it. I used a dark blond color, I'm wondering if I highlight my hair using an ash blond will it tone down the red and lighten my hair.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Correction

I seriously doubt you got any noticeable coverage of the grey hair.

==========

Unless your hair is very resistant, Second nature should provide enough coverage to sufficiently tone down the grey.

Since your hair cuticle has been pre softened by the application of the dark blond color, Second nature may give you complete coverage of the grey.

Read More Answers...

I dyed my hair permanent black and it's too dark. I want to dye it to dark brown. What can I do?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You cannot apply brown hair color to hair previously colored black and get a brown shade. There are warm tones underneath the black tint. You can lift just enough of the black tint to make these warm tones more apparent.

This can be done at home in as little as half an hour and without a lot of expense. All that is required is a professional hair color remover diluted to half the regular strength and left on the hair for half the usual time. There are two musts. You must familiarize yourself with proper usage of the color remover and you absolutely must do a strand test first! Only a strand test will tell you the exact amount of time required to achieve the desired results.

Read More Answers...

I recently dyed my hair on my own at home and I want it to be somewhat more lighter then it is now. Does anyone know if I went to a salon if they would be able to make it lighter although I just dyed it a few days ago?

By Anna from MO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

YES, It will have to be bleached to go lighter though.

Read More Answers...

How can I darken my front row red highlights, as it looks so ugly? Please give me some advice.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I dyed my hair a reddish brown and it turned out more red. How can I lighten it so it's not as red? My natural color is blonde.

By Summer

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Wash your hair back to back several times & use dish soap. You will see the color wash down the drain. If thats still not enough try using a color refresher such as John Frieda in brown. It will help to tone down the red. Good luck.

Read More Answers...

I went to a new hair dresser and I am so so upset. Usually I have highlights. Today she colored my hair first and then did the highlights and I look like I am wearing a yellow wig with an orange tint! How can I wash this out?

By Lisa

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You should immediately return to the hair stylist/salon with your complaint and request an immediate correction for the problem. They should be able to provide a reasonable solution for you. If they do not help you, you can report them to the Better Business Bureau in your area.

7 days ago I colored my hair dark brown, it started washing out and getting a red tint to it. The hair dresser stripped it down too much and it turned orange. She said just let it grow out, so I did not pay her. I then went and got a hair color to try and cover the orange, label - Loreal 7 A. Now it's orange, red, and brassy. Can anyone help?

By phillipj from NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Something like that happened to me in 1994. That was when I decided to never do anything chemical to my hair again. I have shiny hair with a bit of natural wave (didn't know that before), and like my brown/silver color.

However, the orange... find a product that is basically a rinse, and temporary, and use that until the color sort of normalizes. Avoid any more peroxide based hair color (most) if you can. Keep trimming a bit at a time.

My hair is grey. I have been having the hairdresser do light brown for years. Of recent my current hairdresser was using 6 or 7? My hair gradually was getting darker each time she did my color. I asked to lighten it back up and we ended up with black/greenish.

So the same day she tried to correct or get the green out. It has been several months, with a new attempt every 4 weeks or so to undo or gradually get back to light, not black, and it's not happening. We are both hopeful we can process some options and make a decision what to do next. My hair was thick, short, and very easy to manage. The thickness is gone. She is suggesting bleaching. I'm getting other opinions. I would like anyone's feedback. I'm thinking I might just grow it out and be grey for awhile till it gets some length and we can start over. I would appreciate your help. Thanks for any suggestion. I'm most concerned if the thickness can be restored.

By ETG from HI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In my opinion, I would find a new hairdresser. When they stop doing what you want, and mess up with "greenish" hair they are no longer interested.

What can I do to fix my orange/yellow hair?

By Marge from Brandon, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have done this a few times and the first thing I did was wash my hair in powdered Tide... several times to lighten the color. Not really good on hair but it will help lighten the color somewhat.

I dyed my hair and it turned out too red. How can I tone it down without doing too much damage to my hair?

By Marion from Sioux Lookout, Ontario

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I dyed my hair red it Turner to red kinda purple can I use lemon juice to tone it down.

Read More Answers...

My hair dresser dyed my hair way darker than I wanted. I don't want to go back. Can I lighten it at home? I can't stand the sight of myself in the mirror. I just wanted to go a touch warmer than what I'd been doing, a light brown more carmel. What I got was closer to black with no highs and lows.

By Michelle

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your best bet would be to contact hairdresser for professional help. Perhaps he/she could have you come back in and put some highlights in it or redo the whole thing in a lighter, softer shade.

I dyed my hair with Garnier deep reddish brown it is very dark and very red. I have reds in my hair because I have used them a few years now, mostly mahogany. I would like a more warm tone as I am getting older and my skin is paler. I do like the warm chestnut browns, but am aware that my reds would show through, but the colour I have used is very dark and red and makes me look pale.

By Pauli

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Using an "ash" color will help the red not to show through.

I know they say to only ever go one or two shades lighter/darker, but I was stupid and wanted dark brown hair. However the store bought hair dye turned out to be practically black! I haven't dyed it for a good 6 months and my roots aren't really showing and the colour is still dark.

So I used Colour B4 which is a hair dye remover. When I first did it, I loved it. It was a nice dark auburn and at least 2 shades lighter than it was. But now a week later it's gone dark again. I have read all about vitamin C tablets mixed with anti-dandruff shampoo to lighten it, so unless there are any better home remedies I will try that.

The box of hair dye remover was 12 pounds a box and I don't want to do it again just to waste 12 pounds. Please help. I do not want to bleach it because I love my luscious wavy thick hair which I am surprised I still have because of all the dying I have done before.

By EmaN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would go to a professional hair stylist for that one!

Read More Answers...

I dyed my hair about a month ago and it came out almost black with reddish highlights. I would like to know what color could I use to get it to more of a light auburn color. Any help would be appreciated.

By Wendy W.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What is your natural color? For dark colored hair, ash colors tend to pull the red out. If your natural color is dark and you don't want the red, opt for a medium brown. If your natural color is a light color, opt for a light brown. I would not recommend a blond color right now, since you pulled red because red and yellow make green. I doubt that you want that.

I have recently had bonded extensions put in, but the lightest colour extensions were still more yellow the my real hair. My hairdresser suggested using purple shampoo on them to try and lighten them. Unfortunately this has just turned my extensions a very light shade of blue.

I have washed my hair about 6 times with ordinary shampoo and it hasn't budged. I then tried it with washing up liquid which has reduced it a little, but I don't want to use it again as I don't want to damage my £200 extensions. Does anyone have any idea on how I can rid of this ASAP or will I just have to hold out until it fades naturally with more washes?

By Samara

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dish washing liquid! Wash your hair with dish washing liquid... really rub it in and then use a really good conditioner.

I recently tried to dye my hair a dark auburn color and it just turned out dark with some red. I want to re dye my hair a lighter auburn. I found a home dye that is a hair lightener for dark hair. How long do I have to wait until I can use it?

By Ashley from CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Wait a day or two after all the shampoo stripping to allow the cuticle layer of the hair shaft to close back down (or even after coloring in the first place) before coloring again otherwise you could end up right back where you started from with too dark of a color. When the cuticle layer is open the inner hair shaft reacts like a sponge. Also, you might want to choose at least one shade lighter (two would be better) than what you're hoping for because it's going to be 'color on/over color'.

Read More Answers...

How do I tone down red hair dye? I have gone for a different dye, as my usual one wasn't stocked. Now it is too bright and looks gingery.

By Lisa from England

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi i have had my hair lighened from black to dark brown salon bleached bathed it which left a brassy red colour then mixed 2 ash colours 6.1 & 7.1 and applied. I am left with brown hair with lots brassiness even worse in light & sun . How can i get rid of the brassiness so my hair looks more cool brown. Without red/ orange tones shining through.

Read More Answers...

I recently tried dyeing my hair ombre with the Loreal kit for dark brown hair (that's the color of my natural hair and the kit was pretty cheap). At first I didn't leave the bleach in long enough so I added some more and left it in for a longer time. Now my hair is this brassy orange color and I can't go to a salon because I don't have the $$ and toners, again no $$. So please, if anybody has some home remedies that they would like to share with me it would really mean a lot. Thank you so much! xoxo

By Selma.P

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've used lemon juice and heat in the past, or lemon juice and going out in the sun. It does take ages though, and I got too impatient. Vitamin C dissolvable tablets is supposed to work if you crush them and mix them with a little water. do a youtube search on naturally lightening hair, it helped me (:

-Ember

I have light brown hair and want to naturally lighten it with lemon juice, but I have highlights already. Will the lemon juice make the highlights disappear?

AnswerMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
        Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringApril 2, 2013
        A woman doing leg curls.
        Toning Your Buns and Thighs
        Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
        Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
        Sink with hair dye stains
        Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
        Red Hair Dye
        Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 29, 2016 at 12:15:03 PM on 10.0.0.15 in 435 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.