Cleaning Copper Pots and Pans

Does anyone know a home remedy for cleaning copper pots?

By Sharon from Long Island, NY

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

Sherri, the best product I have ever used on my pots and pans is called CAMEO. It's a powdered cleanser; comes in a white plastic container and I've only found it at Wal-Mart. You will not believe how shiny it makes your cookware; they will look as good as new and this product doesn't scratch the surface.

Best Answer

Gotta add my two cents in for Bar Keepers Friend. I found liquid in the dollar section of our local Cardinal store but swear by the stuff in the can.

Best Answer

On my 50+ years old Revere pots, I have always poured about 1/4 tsp. of salt on the pan bottom and then added a small amount of vinegar and rubbed it around on bottom and sides.

As soon as salt & vinegar come in contact with each other you see the shine return!

Some people add flour to mix but I never found it necessary.

Best Answer

Having them bright and coppery sure does look nice, but it doesn't affect their performance. I gave up after a while when I decided that surely other things were more important!

There is a wonderful, inexpensive product called Bartender's Friend, same as Bon Amee. Non-abrasive powder that makes copper and stainless gleam!

Anything acidic will clean it fairly well. Try a warm tomato juice bath.

The salt and vinegar work like magic. Did a pot the other day myself and was so surprised how fast and hardly any scouring. Pour vinegar onto the bottom of the pot and sprinkle table salt!

I just use ketchup on the bottom of my Revere Ware pans. I just wipe it around and sometimes add a little salt to it and they come out sparkling.

Answer

Can someone please tell me how to clean copper bottom pans. I have had a set of Revere Ware for over 30 years. I use them everyday. I have used the stuff you buy in the store but it doesn't work well. Thank you in advance and have a great spring.

Sherri from Rohnert Park, CA

Cleaning Copper Pots and Pans

Sherri, the best product I have ever used on my pots and pans is called Cameo. It's a powdered cleanser; comes in a white plastic container and I've only found it at Wal-Mart. You will not believe how shiny it makes your cookware; they will look as good as new and this product doesn't scratch the surface. (02/13/2009)

By Marnita

Cleaning Copper Pots and Pans

I remember seeing on TV a program where they cleaned both copper and brass I believe with sour goats milk, but am sure that you could use cows milk (in the programe they had goats available) (02/14/2009)

By popet

Cleaning Copper Pots and Pans

Gotta add my two cents in for Bar Keepers Friend. I found liquid in the dollar section of our local Cardinal store but swear by the stuff in the can. (02/14/2009)

By Beth

Cleaning Copper Pots and Pans

I've simply used Ajax or Comet cleanser (whichever is on sale) forever! I inherited my set of Revereware from my mother in 1995. She received it as a wedding gift in 1942! It is 67 years old and still goin' strong! (02/15/2009)

By JuliaY

Cleaning Copper Pots and Pans

As soon as salt and vinegar come in contact with each other you see the shine return!

Some people add flour to mix but I never found it necessary. (02/15/2009)

By Syd's 2 cents

Cleaning Copper Pots and Pans

Having them bright and coppery sure does look nice, but it doesn't affect their performance. I gave up after a while when I decided that surely other things were more important! (02/16/2009)

By Beth

Cleaning Copper Pots and Pans

The best thing that I've found is a product called "Brasso", intended for cleaning brass and coppers. I discovered this way back in high school, as I had to buy a container of it to clean/shine my collar brass for ROTC class. I didn't want to waste it, so was trying to find another way to use it, it sat on my mom's shelf for 4 years and then I got married and received a beautiful set of copper bottomed pots as a wedding gift, I thought of the Brasso then and pulled it out - WOW! It did a great job of clearing the tarnish and making the copper sparkle, and a little goes a long ways a bottle may last you several years. Good luck! (02/18/2009)

By bailegirl

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Tomato Catsup

To clean bronze and copper pots and pans, I use tomato catsup and salt. It cleans quickly with a little elbow grease. I usually spray a dab of "cooking spray" on after cleaning and it helps to keep them clean longer.

By Louise

Lemons and Salt

To clean a copper pot, cut a lemon in half, sprinkle it with salt and wipe the tarnish away. This will last a month to six weeks. Makes keeping a shiny pot easy and beautiful!

By Annie from Michie, TN

Flour, Salt and White Vinegar

For forty years I have used the same homemade mix to clean my copper cooking utensil bottoms. It is an equal mix of flour, salt, and white vinegar. Mix to form a paste and put in a wide mouth jar. In the jar I keep a square cut from a sponge. When I need to clean, I open the jar and take the sponge out that is covered with the mix and wipe those pans. Voila, nice and shiny.

By Aline

Toothpaste

If you haven't any copper cleaner, you can clean copper bottomed pots and other kitchen utensils with toothpaste and a damp cloth.

By Joesgirl

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you clean copper pots?

bbleackley from Saskatchewan

Bar Keep's Friend

I like to use Bar Keepers Friend, it is very quick and easy. Best of all it does not require hard rubbing and polishing. I have also used table salt and lemon juice, this is OK for light tarnish. I had heard ketchup would clean copper, but it was not very effective in my opinion.. (09/20/2006)

By cosmic

Worcestershire

Believe it or not - I use Worcestershire Sauce. Let it sit for a while and wipe it off. Bartenders Friend is available at Walmart in the U.S. but I don't know about Canada. Vinegar also does a nice job. (09/20/2006)

By Annie

Ketchup

I got this tip from a TV show. To clean your copper pots and pans, use plain ketchup (the cheapest that you can find), and rub it gently with a clean, soft cloth. It doesn't harm your cookware, and it works beautifully. (09/21/2006)

By Jacklyn29

Tabasco

I was amazed that ordinary (red) tabasco sauce does a wonderful job! Give it a try! I am thinking it has an acid-like ingredient or something that does the trick, but it really does work great, and not so much elbow grease as some of the polishes you might purchase! (09/23/2006)

By bluzrooster

Vinegar

Pour a splash of vinegar on the pan then quickly dump a teaspoon of table salt on the vinegar and scrub away! You can also make a paste of vinegar, salt and enough flour to make a gravy-like consistency so the mixture will cling to whatever you're cleaning.
You can take a handful of old pennies and pour some vinegar and salt on them and rub with your fingers, then rinse with plain water. The little ones will think they have "new" pennies! Sadly, many of them want quarters or dollar bills these days! (09/23/2006)

By Grandma Margie

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Copper Pots
Cleaning Copper Pots and Pans
Home and Garden Cleaning DishesDecember 13, 2010
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Dirty Pots and Pans
Cleaning Pots and Pans
Dirty drip pan and stove top.
Keeping Electric Range Drip Pans Clean
Pots and pans.
Organizing Pots and Pans
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 19, 2016 at 6:11:10 AM on 10.0.0.231 in 829 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.