Using Mail in Cards from Magazines

The first thing I do upon receiving my AARP magazine is tear out those pesky mail-in reply cards that make the magazine difficult to handle, but before pitching them, I check for blanks. Since I do not regularly stock postcards, these are a handy substitute for business-related needs. I have also cut them down to use in a rolodex file or even for recipe cards I do out for others. They are already perforated and quite easy to remove, most of them are a convenient-to-use size, and they didn't cost me anything.

By Ronsan from Southwest Missouri

I think it's a great idea! I'm all for re-using "junk" stuff that we get for free. I already use junk mail for note paper and such.

You could use them as bookmarks too.

I think these business reply cards are pesky, too- every bit as bad as junk mail and telemarketers calling at dinner time. So I do my own 'mini-protest' by mailing the cards back without filling them out. That way, the mag (or advertiser) has to pay the postage, but they don't get the benefit of a sale from it- an easy way to send the message that you wish they would stop this practice. Join the protest and mail 'em back!

I agree that the mail-in cards and advertising inserts in magazines are annoying. Before reading the magazines I subscribe to, I go through them when they arrive and remove and throw away all cards, inserts, and advertising that is not connected to editorial content. Then the mag is easy to read and it makes me feel better to have "thumbed my nose," so to speak, to unnecessary ads!