Help Make A Difference - Hurricane Katrina

I just returned from church and heard that 500 persons were being sent to Lexington,Ky from the Gulf coast. A lady there works through our local government and had been helping this weekend to begin set-up for the place of shelter.

Being a Grandmother myself, my heart has been absolutely broken for the innocent babies and children at the mercy of others for food, diapers, and clothing.

She was telling us that each Baby at shelters was allotted 5 DIAPERS A DAY-- and a diaper had to be full to capacity in order to be changed. Babies are also in desperate need of Desitin and medicines for Bug bites as well as diaper rashes. Powdered formulas are also needed.

Can you imagine,as a Mother not having access to the supplies you need for your precious little one? I don't know how people can have access to learn the locations of these shelters. If anyone knows please let our readers know.

But PLEASE PLEASE, I BEG as a Grandmother and a Mother, open your hearts and pocketbooks to these families in need of these supplies. If you are in the vicinity of any known shelter, try to buy a bag of diapers, some formula, baby food, diaper rash medicine, or antibiotic medicines and get it to a shelter or send it through a volunteer. I have some sleepers I found at yard sales that I plan to send. All these things are desperately needed.

If you're like myself, you may not be able financially able to make a LARGE donation, but all these small things are needed and my small donation, and your small donation add up. I challenge each family who can and will to help these little Angels. God will bless you abundantly for it.

Sharon,

Thanks for posting this. I'm sure we are all horrified at the destruction, displacement and problems in these rescue efforts. These people will need help for a long, long time because many have lost homes, jobs, all of their belongings and many have lost family members.

Here is a link of an updated list of help organizations.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2005/katrina/help.center/#dv

One thing I thought of is that all of these people will have bills coming due, credit card payments come to mind. Write to your bank and credit card companies and ask them to waive interest payments and late charges for those in the path of Hurricane Katrina for at least the next 6 months. It will take many that long to have a job, a permanent place to live and some kind of normality in their lives.

Take care all and give us ideas of what we can do. We'll continue to do what we can to raise money for the victims and do what we can to help.

Susan from ThriftyFun

I saw on our local news that Milwaukee, WI (about a half hour away from us), will also be temporarily housing some of the people displaced by Katrina. I agree that everyone should do whatever they can to help, no matter how small. As Sharon said, if everyone were to give a little bit, it really would add up. To illustrate that point, a little boy in my hometown had a lemonade stand going today and was giving all the proceeds of his lemonade sales to disaster relief. Blessings to all of those affected!

I would love to help. If you know of anyone wanting to leave your shelters and just get out email me. I would be willing to help someone out by letting them stay and get a job to get their own homes. I live in the middle of montana, i know kids of far away but still there will always be homes, just ask around. TayLynnsBean @ yahoo.com (remove spaces)

We have an available guesthouse. If you need a place to stay temporairily, just contact us at-

fownhope @ comcast.net (remove spaces)

64 Antietam rd, Temple, PA, 19560

610-929-4334

maryland has a shelter ready for 500 people. i have went thru my apartment and gathered things i think people would need. samples of toothpaste, bandaides, ace bandages, childrens books, hair brush and soap. when they get here i am taking this stuff to the shelter.

thats a wonderful idea!! I've been sewing all my extra matterial's (did i spell that right?)

together and making quilts to send them

now you gave me another way, idea to help THANKS!!!

Home Interiors and Gifts is selling a jar candle with a Thomas Kincade Lighthouse picture on the front,entitled "Light in the Storm".It sells for $6.49 plus tax.All profits go to the Hurricane Relief Fund.It is Vanilla scented,and would make a nice gift for special occasions.It's really a win/win deal.You get something for your money and contribute to the relief fund as well.Contact a dealer to help sell them or buy some for yourself.Companies who are willing to dip into their profits and share deserve our business.

Sharon,

that was weekend I was going to buy a new computer

after a long wait and saving. Well I could not spend that $ on me after seeing what I did on TV. I sent the moneyto Red Cross instead. I figure it was better spent and they could use more than BestBuy.

I have gathered good clean used clothes some with tags still on and soaps, shampoos etc to take to

Convoy of Hope along with clearence items like

t-shirts for adults and kids at $2.&3. each

from a WalMart and the manger asked what was the basket full of stuff for, I told him and he let me

have some of the items at 1/2price so I got diapers.

I have not had a child nor can we, but I agree watching parents beg for water and diapers is a disgrace.

Thank you for helping.

Dear Meeowmom,God will return your money twofold.Watch and see. It's folks like you that make this world a better place.I've sent some beautiful baby clothes with my church friend who's working with the Red Cross.She's seeing that they get to babies who need them at the lexington shelter.And I sent diapers and diaper rash medicine.By the grace of God we're not the ones in this mess.I did hear a story that concerned me though. An old friend from school had a Daughter and husband in New Orleans.They waited and left to go to her mother's in Dayton,Ohio.She's ready to deliver their first baby.When they got there they contacted the Red Cross to see if they could get any help since all they had was left behind,and were told that the ones who VOLUNTARILY left to find shelter elsewhere were not entitled to help-only those who went to shelters were eligible.Some of her mom's good hearted friends in Dayton helped get a nursery set up in her Mom's home.Thanks again to all who do their part no matter how small or large.There are lots of wonderful caring people in this world.God Bless you all!!

Home and Garden EmergencySeptember 4, 2005
Natural Disaster Aid
Donating to Natural Disaster Aid
A staircase next to an orange painted wall.
Painting Walls By a Staircase
Muffin and a Cupcake
Difference Between a Muffin and a Cupcake
Plant Hardiness Zones
USDA Plant Hardiness Zones
🎄