Restoring Steel Sink After Using 409

I made the mistake of using 409 on my steel sink and now parts are spotted and it seems some of the silver actually came off if that's even possible? Of course after the fact I read that it's not recommended to be used on steel. Please tell me there's something I can do to restore it? It's a brand new sink!

Michelle from Minneapolis, MN

Try pouring a 1/4 cup or so of salt into the sink then rubbing with a cut lemon. I have used this on my stainless steel sink for years. I has always brought the shine back in a few minutes.

More than likely if the sink truly is stainless steel, it should be just that, stainless. With that, you are probably just seeing cleaner areas here and there giving the illusion of damage. I use "Bar Keepers Friend" on all my stainless steel - I swear by it. You can find it at Wal-Mart near "Comet" and other abrasive type cleaners. "Bar Keepers Friend" is a powder - Make a paste with water and use circular motions going over the entire sink. You'll actually see all the oxidation almost melt away. It even removes rust, like those rings left from cans. It's Amazing!

Thanks, I will give them both a try. I didn't think it was possible for the metal color to be removed, but that's what it seemed like. Then, once I decided to read the directions after the fact, it made me think maybe I really DID remove the color since 409 wasn't recommended on steel. Thanks again!

I ruined my stainless steel sink by putting Lime-Away around the faucets and it leaked down to the sink. It did take the finish off. Yours might be a different situation. I have heard that mineral oil will restore the luster on stainless although I have not tried it myself. You might give that a try.

Is Barkeeper's Friend just for cleaning, or also to polish/restore? The mineral oil may be the better choice since I don't think the sink needs cleaning again. Wouldn't hurt to try them both I suppose..

Thanks everyone!

Just wanted to let you know that the Bar Keeper's Friend worked wonders on my sink! I had to use a little more elbow grease than I anticipated, but was SO happy with the results! Now, if only there were something to get out those darn scratches...

Home and Garden Cleaning KitchenOctober 16, 2007
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
stainless steel sink
Cleaning a Stainless Steel Sink
Stainless Steel Sink
Removing Rust from a Stainless Steel Sink
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎄
🍂