Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Planning a Wedding on a $1,500 Budget

I need help with my wedding. I have the venue, for an awesome price. Now I would like to stay on a budget of 1,500 dollars. I welcome any and all help please. I live in the bay area so I welcome the help. My wedding date is 3/24/11.

By Toni from Oakland, CA

By justweddings [1]02/20/2011

That's not much, but certainly doable. I suggest looking at just what is most important to you in the wedding. Spend more of your money there, and cut out or cut back the rest. Centerpieces can just be simple votive candles that you get in bulk at a craft store with a few petals scattered around. Favors can be bulk candy that you wrap up in little squares of tulle with a ribbon. You can do your own flowers either by buying them online in bulk or making paper flowers. Project Wedding usually has a whole load of diy projects you can do. The only thing I suggest NOT doing yourself is music. Unless you have a friend who knows what their doing, a professional DJ will make a huge difference in the way the party is run.

Good Luck!

By Sandy Gerber [22]02/03/2011

Get all types of clear vases at garage sales and fill with silk or real flowers for table decor.

By Lee [4]02/02/2011

Try face book for bakers or decorations. I post all of my cakes I make, as well as one of my friends. Post a message, you will be amazed how many people do things that you might need. Someone might have some decorations you can use. You can also try youtube for ideas. Go with what grows in your area, branches painted gold are free, hang your Christmas lights on them.

By Joan [13]01/31/2011

Also a lot of brides are renting their gowns, or go to Davids Bridal, it seems like they are always having gowns on sale for $99.00. Skip the dance and the big meal. Have the wedding/reception at at time of day where the guests won't expect any more than cake, coffee, tea, and punch, maybe ice cream. Ask cousins to be waiters and waitresses, instead of catering. Find a friend that can take good pictures and skip the professional photographer. Skimp on decorations, flowers, etc. Sometimes less is more. If you know anybody that is handy with flowers buy silk flowers and have that person make bouquets, ets. Oh yes, for the people that help with the reception, etc. you can buy them a momento. of the occasion.

By Suntydt [75]01/30/2011

You said you have venue so I won't comment on that. My wedding was held at a college and we were able to get the caffeteria area real cheap so we could concentrate our funds on the cake and stuff. You could check at a college in your area or even a community center, church or banquet hall (especially if you or a family member are members).

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Planning a Wedding on a $1,500 Budget

How can I plan my wedding on a $1500.00 budget?

I am planning a $1500 wedding. I need help on ideas?

By Van6 from Columbus, OH

RE: Planning a Wedding on a $1,500 Budget

You have your budget planned, you should be able to figure out which items are the most important for you to include in your wedding and how much you want to spend on these items, and go from there. For example, it isn't necessary to have a dance or a sit down dinner. For the reception, have it at the same location as the ceremony itself, and just serve cake, coffee, tea, and punch. Also nuts and mints. You don't need a bunch of decorations. Like I said figure out which items are the most important to you and go from there. (07/17/2010)

By redhatterb

redhatterb has good suggestions. Make sure that you ask all guests to bring their digital camera and snap away and have them send you a DVD with the pictures. A few small touches go a long way, such as imprinted napkins to serve a piece of cake. (07/17/2010)

By notwrong

You don't mention how many guests or where it will be held. I would suggest having only close family and friends with an informal feel. If you want a formal look, try thrift shops for candle holders or votive holders. I would only use real flowers for the bouquets and boutonnieres. Cake and finger foods for the reception. I suggest looking at the previous wedding questions for other suggestions; best wishes. (07/21/2010)

By yoder178

I would also hope everyone who is looking for weddings on the cheap doesn't forget to pay the minister, janitor, musicians, etc. well; after all they are taking a night away from their families to honor you and your fiance. (07/21/2010)

By yoder178

One of the most beautifully decorated weddings I ever attended had no blooming-type flowers. They used only common green ivy that friends allowed them to cut from their yards. The ivy was draped gracefully and accented with either a white bow or a white candle, depending on where it was used (on a table, at the end of the pews, on a window sill, etc.). It was very elegant looking and the clean simplicity of it left all the attention to be centered on the wedding party. A wedding is about the love a man and woman share and the attention should be on them, not a bunch of expensive flowers that are only going to die. Other types of free greenery besides ivy could be used. The main idea is thing, simple, green, and free. (07/22/2010)

By Bebe52

When planning on a budget you first have to decide what is most important details to you. That is where you should be spending most of your capital. Next look for resources around you before buying anything! If you are part of a church, ladies group, have female friends, or family you have a wealth of resources. Ask around, you might be surprised who comes forward with hidden talents or connections who would be willing to help you at a huge discount or without charging. Also, never under estimate the Dollar Store. Many times their stock comes from stores looking to unload aged inventory. I've found very realistic silk flowers for a friend's bouquet, expensive ribbon, lace circles, tea lights, etc. for pennies on the dollar. (08/12/2010)

By Creative on a Budget