Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Harvesting and Uses for Crab Apples

Spread 2 bed sheets under tree canopy from trunk to outside edge of tips of limbs. Using an inch and half PVC pipe with a (Y) fitting attached to the tip of 8 foot section of pipe. Shake limbs about 1/2 distance from trunk to tip of branch to avoid breaking limbs. Gather corners of sheet (usually 2 people do this). Pour Apples into pails or baskets, wash thoroughly in cold water.

Bring large pot of water 1/2 full to boil. Put apples in for 5-10 minutes. Remove from pot with large metal strainer, and place in large colander to separate seeds and skins.

Makes great jellies, juices, and also apple butter.

Source: My grand mother

By carlanwright01 from Crane, MO

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By JoAnn Snow05/29/2009

How do I know when the crab apples are ready to be harvested? How big do they get? We moved here 2 years ago and have a tree, but I never knew I could do anything with the fruit.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.