Harvesting and Uses for Crab Apples

Spread 2 bed sheets under tree canopy from trunk to outside edge of tips of limbs. Using an inch and half PVC pipe with a (Y) fitting attached to the tip of 8 foot section of pipe. Shake limbs about 1/2 distance from trunk to tip of branch to avoid breaking limbs. Gather corners of sheet (usually 2 people do this). Pour Apples into pails or baskets, wash thoroughly in cold water.

Bring large pot of water 1/2 full to boil. Put apples in for 5-10 minutes. Remove from pot with large metal strainer, and place in large colander to separate seeds and skins.

Makes great jellies, juices, and also apple butter.

Source: My grand mother

By carlanwright01 from Crane, MO

How do I know when the crab apples are ready to be harvested? How big do they get? We moved here 2 years ago and have a tree, but I never knew I could do anything with the fruit.

Comment

Crabapples
Growing Crabapples
Home and Garden Gardening Growing Growing FoodMay 27, 2009
Pile of green apples.
Selecting Good Apples
Imitation Crab Cakes
Recipes Using Imitation Crab
Crab Salad Recipes
Crab Salad Recipes
Photo of an onion harvest.
Harvesting Onions
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2016 at 6:05:25 PM on 10.0.2.249 in 971 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.