General AdviceConsumer Advice

Removing Tuna Can Bottoms

I am wondering if someone can tell me how to cut the bottoms out of tuna fish cans so that I can use them for English muffin molds. I have tried a hand cranked can opener and it doesn't work. What is the secret? Thank you.

By Tigra from ID

Maybe you can use an electric can cutter, I sugguest to leave the bottom in the cans to cook muffins in. You may also cook biscuits in them, good luck.

Most tuna cans have those slightly curved in bottoms that don't seem to come off with can openers as there is no seam.

There are other food products that come in cans that you may be able to substitute instead of tuna cans. I think water chestnut cans and small crushed pineapple cans are the same size and I think they still come in the type of can that you can remove the bottom. Maybe even a different brand of tuna would come in the 'old style' cans.

I have never used a tin to cook the muffins in. I cut them with a large biscuit cutter and after they have risen, I cook them on my pancake griddle on med-low heat. They hold their shape very well! There is a recipe in the BH&G cookbook, but failing that, let me know and I will put it in here!

Check out a different brand of tuna, they are not all the same. Or walk the isle at the grocer and see what other can might fit your need.

I made some English muffin rings from a smaller fruit can. I found some small cans of pineapple that you could remove both ends with a can opener. Cost about 55 cents each can. They work good for me.