My Frugal Life - Enjoying the Wisdom of Our Parents

I am happy to say that I grew up in a frugal family. It certainly made a difference. My greatest influence was my father. Both my Mom and Dad lived through the depression and Dad's family was affected deeply. It was important to my parents that their children receive good educations and do well in in life. Their children were to have the opportunities that were not there for my brilliant parents. My Father skipped three grades in school catching up to his eldest sister. There was no money for higher education in university.

We turned off lights as we left a room and counted the ounces in various tins of vegetables and fruit. Although there was no waste in our home, we lived well, ate proper food and had a nice home. Living well and thriftiness can definitely go hand in hand. My husband and I have enjoyed the wisdom of our parents and added in lots of our own.

Bev from Chilliwack, BC

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here:

Sounds like you grew up with alot of love also!Lisa

Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeNovember 13, 2006
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
A child's feet sitting on a toilet during potty training.
Potty Training Your Child
female hand shaving legs
Asking Your Parents to Let You Shave
A frustrated mom sitting next to her son who is jumping on the couch.
How Do Parents Find Personal Time?