Line Dry for Longer Lasting Clothing

I very rarely dry my cotton clothes, (jeans, t shirts, or any other non-permanent press items) in my dryer. I hang them on the line, and find that they last much longer that way. I have t-shirts that are ten years old and still look new. Think about it - when you clean out your dryer vent, those clumps you throw away are pieces of your clothing!

By Mary from North Tonawanda, NY

This is true, and it also (depending on where you live, I suppose) can impart a nice, fresh smell to your clothes, bed sheets, blankets, etc. One word of caution though: if you are plagued with hay fever and other allergies, line drying will pick up whatever pollen that's in season where you live. I'd love to line dry but for this reason I avoid it.

I'm an Australian I was surprised to find how many people in the US and other countries that don't line dry their clothes, even if they live in a warm climate.

We do have dryers here but not every house has them. I have one but use it sparingly. Even if it is raining I will hang my clothes out on a line strung between a couple of posts under cover of a patio or carport.

Did you also know that by line drying your clothes in the sun, you destoy some bacteria that isn't killed by the dryer? I'm not sure about day care centres in the US, but here in Australia at one point centres here deliberately lined dried cloth nappies (daipers) for that reason.

Just my 2c worth.

Bev in Oz

I ALWAYS hang my undies, especially my bras to dry. My sister recently visited and ask me how I keep them so white and so nice for as long as I do. NO DRYER HEAT !!!! I've heard too, that to keep t-shirts and sweat shirts at their best don't dryer them, and that the dryer breaks down the darker dyes like blacks and blue jeans. Besides, the dryer running makes another ka-ching on the electric bill. Every little thing adds up to an easier to handle bill.

I have never had a dryer and even in Maine in the winter freeze them on the line and bring in hang on rack or coat hangers & they dry quickly and soft. My kids all three never had diaper rash, I always used cloth diapers. The sun also bleaches out stains. I would truly miss not being able to hang out my laundry. I know a friend that lives near a city in VA and can not hang because of the pollution from factories and interstate traffic.

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryAugust 10, 2004
Drying Clothes Inside
Line Drying Clothes Inside
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
View of the water line.
Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line
Primary Colored Shirts on Clothesline
Line Drying Clothing Tips and Tricks