Why Are My Cookies Running Together?

What did I do wrong? What makes cookies run together when they are baking?

Carol from Toney, AL

Are you maybe greasing the cookie sheet when you should not be?

You may have to much wet to dry ingredients. Simply add an extra tablespoon or 2 of flour (or whatever your main dry ingredient is) This will not dry out you cookies. It's the oil, shortening or butter that makes them moist (or applesauce or plum-sauce in fat-free cookies).

Does this happen on all cookies or just certain ones?

If you're removing the cookies from the cookie sheet and immediately putting the dough for the next batch on it, that could cause them to run together. If that's the case, wait for the cookie sheet to cool down between batches. Also, a high butter/margarine/shortening content could cause the cookies to run, so you may try reducing that amount.

were they placed too close together on your cookie sheet? most call for 2-3 inches apart placed on your cookie sheet.And the bigger (thicker you cut them) the bigger they will spread out also.

This happens to me when my dough is not refrigerated enough. Usually the first few batches are okay, but if I don't put the dough back in the refrigerator while waiting for some to bake, they tend to get to soft and spread out while baking.

Good luck!

Your dough isn't cold enough or your cookie sheets are too hot or both.

Try this to cool a hot cookie sheet quickly for the next batch... use a hot pad and hold the cookie sheet upside down over the sink. Run an ice cube over the back of the sheet until it melts (the ice cube, not the sheet :-)

I had this problem too. Then I started baking only one cookie sheet of dough at a time (I have two). That allows the spare one to cool before you use it and the cookies don't spread out so much. Good luck!

Space them farther apart.

And make sure you are using the ingredients called for. If the recipe asked for butter or margarine, often the I Can't Believe its Not Butter type of spreads don't work- they dont' have enough fat and have too much water

I have had this problem also..like when i mkae chocolate chip cookies..they would run together and look like flat cookies with bumps on them...I stated adding more flour to the mix..it did help and I use what I think will make it hold shape good and not change the taste of the cookies...I also have done this with oatmeal cookies...hope this helps

You may need to check the calibration on the thermostat on the oven. You may not be baking at the correct temperature. Do you have a good oven thermometer? My oven was off by 25 degrees, so I set it 25 degrees higher until it could be calibrated. It makes a difference.

Try using butter flavored crisco instead of margarine or butter, and chill batter before baking. This works really well.

Hi Carol - I can't answer your question about your cookies but noticed you live in Toney, AL. I live in Hazel Green -sure you know where that is. I love to craft although I don't get to as much as I like. Maybe some time we will get to meet. Oh, I used to live just off Wall Highway on Clutts Road near the Community church. Played the piano there for several years. My hubby grew up in the Toney community many years ago. Have a good night& email me if you want to. franin al

This is for Fran in Hazel Green, AL.....Hi, You're not that far away from me, are you?

Yes, I know where Hazel Green is. It's like Toney, we get tornadoes.....It seems we might have bad weather today with all those fronts coming in.

Nice to meet you. Thanks for writing. Carol

You might have used a butter spread from a bowled container instead of stick margarine or stick butter. This will change the consistency, I learned this soon after I started cooking. Always cook or bake with stick margarines/butters or canned shortening unless your recipe calls for cooking oil. Otherwise. you have cookies you get to eat with a spoon.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Baking CookiesJanuary 3, 2008
Riding Mower
Riding Mower Running Rough
Riding Mower
Riding Mower Dies When Put in Gear
green peppers growing
Growing Peppers and Tomatoes Together
Keeping Homemade Cookies Fresh
Keeping Homemade Cookies Fresh
🎄