Paint Color to Coordinate with Red Furniture

We're moving and the place we're moving to has medium gray carpeting throughout. We have bright red living room pieces. I'm coming up a blank with ideas for wall colors, please help!

By Brei from Maryland Heights, MO

There isn't much you can do about color, other than the basic off-whites or a shade of gray. Gray is very poplular right now.

I saw a lovely yarn afghan with the colors of gray, red, and white. I'd stick with these colors as they go together and compliment well. White walls with a few black accessories would go well too.

Yummy, yes black. White walls, use big pieces of art work with red and black in them. u want to draw the eye away from the walls.

I would use a gray that is one shade lighter than the carpeting. Enjoy your new place!

A light turquoise for the walls, with deep turquoise, red, and gray accents, would be stunning. Bring the colors together with pillows, artwork, wall hangings, and accessories that have all three of those colors in them. Beautiful!

I love the gray idea,but darker than the carpet. Accent with black and white. Remember that the paint will appear lighter than the sample cards they always offer at the paint store. Or buy the small bottles and paint a couple of different shades,and let them dry and then observe the effect light has on them at night and during the day until you are certain what you want to do. (I love love love black accent walls with red and gray. But it can freak some people out. Also remember that paint is the least expensive element in decorating a room, and does the most to effect the outcome. Have you thought about separating the wall horizontally into three wide stripes and painting three differing shades of the same gray with the darkest at the bottom,and working up to the lightest at the top. What color is your woodwork? That will make a difference, too.

April 10, 2011 Flag

I have red furniture, not bright red. I need some ideas for living room wall colors that would coordinate with red furniture.

By Ramona from Detroit, MI

Answers:

White will go good with any color or a light beige, good luck. (04/24/2010)

By kffrmw88

I would go with a soft taupe or beige color, a little bit deeper in tone, but not dark. It will give you some contrast and then you could find some toss pillows that have the two colors and throw on the furniture to pull it together. If you have trim or molding, try a semi gloss white to add further contrast. I have seen this combination in furniture showrooms and it looks nice. (04/24/2010)

By Amy3e

I'm with doing the taupe too, not too dark. It will provide a good solid blank canvas you can work well with and not be overwhelming to your room.

Do you have another color/s you use throughout your house? Try to incorporate these colors for a look of continuity and consistency throughout your house. Depending on your light, a soft, soft gold would look nice.

Also, take into consideration the amount of light you get in your room. Artificial light? Natural light? You'll have to check your colors in quite large 3' x 3' samples of paint on your walls to make up your mind.
(04/26/2010)

By metroplex

How about a silver grey color or tan? I read that grey is the "new" color for spring. You could add darker grey, black, or white as accent colors. (04/27/2010)

By mulberry204

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceApril 10, 2011
Blue-Green Carpet
Paint Color to Coordinate With Blue-Green Carpet
Red Wine
Removing Red Wine Stains from Microfiber
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
a woman looking at paint swatches.
Paint Color to Coordinate With Rust Colored Carpet
🎉
🎄