Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Donating Free Fabric Samples

I have lot of free fabric samples. Anyone have any ideas where I can donate them? Thanks.

By Janet from Milwaukee, WI

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By bunny_puppy_animal lover [5]12/15/2010

I use my old fabric to make pet toys and sell them online. They usually sell fast.

By nicole [1]06/16/2010

I would like to have your samples. I will explain what I have been doing and you can make the decision. I make bibs and blankets and wheelchair organizers and carriers for the elderly mainly Alzheimer residents. I'm in desperate need of fabric I do not make any profit for doing this as i do this for giving back to the elderly I'm only 27 and a stay at home mom. I used to work at a nursing home as a med tech. So I have watched families just drop there loved ones off and never look back and it is so sad. I just like to go visit and do something nice. Thank you very much here is my email if you would like to respond broken_forever@hotmail.com

By Jennifer Hornyak04/28/2010

You could donate them to a girl scout troop.

By De Palmer04/22/2010

When I find fabric scraps and material in storage that I do no longer want I call my local fabric store for names of quilters or someplace that teaches quilting and donate them. Sometimes the schools will take fabric for projects in elementary level. There even may be an orginazation in your area that makes quilts for children in the hospital. They could always use fabric.

By Priscilla [1]04/22/2010

I work with a church group that makes lap quilts for children that have been abused or that live in a shelter. We do over a thousand each year.

By Linda Kennedy [1]04/21/2010

You can donate them to Warming Families, a non-profit organization that provides handmade items to disadvantaged individuals. You can read about the group at http://www.freewebs.com/warmingfamilies/

I use the fabric sample & scraps to make quilts and toys for whatever group neds them in the area.

By Cyinda [214]04/20/2010

There are quilters who sew blankets for the poor homeless & earthquake victims.

Also donate to senior centers, senior homes or any elementary schools, even high school sewing classes & kids after-school art programs! Or the boys & girls club if they have an art program. You could call you town's park department.

You can also put an ad on the Free part of Craig's list. But donating them to a school or the seniors center would be best! Many seniors make quilts then raffle them off for charity, so you would be helping others!

You can donate them to Goodwill & get a tax write-off! They sell the large pieces one at a time & put the smaller pieces of fabric into a clear bag together & sell them to crafters like me!

Sheesh! I wish we lived closer together, I make Teddy Bear & Barbie clothes & would gladly take them off your hands! hahahaha!

By KL [3]04/20/2010

You could check the comments on this thread:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf25268733.tip.html

By lisa [3]04/20/2010

Ask the art teacher at your local school. I'll bet they would love to have them.

By Lisa [2]04/20/2010

Janet - I imagine lots of folks would love to have your samples! Out of curiosity, how big are they?

If you're wanting to donate them, I bet a local school, church, or maybe even a nursing home would happily take them. They all do crafts! Or, if you can't find any takers that way, maybe look at offering the samples through freecycle or craigslist (although I've heard about some weirdos on craigslist).

I think you won't have any problems finding someone to take them off your hands. Best of luck!