Saving Money on Office Beverages

contest winner icon

Here's my tip about saving money on snacks. I am a administrative assistant at a small office. I noticed that all of us were going out to the local convenience store and buying cans of Diet Coke (the most inexpensive pop) for 79 cents.

I got everyone together and told them of my observation. We then decided that we could save money by buying more together instead of buying a few cans at a time. What we do now is every weekend I buy a case of regular pop and a case of diet pop. Each person wishing to have one puts 30 cents into the money box, and we have our drink!

The bonus is that our business has improved from all of us being around more, plus when we entertain we don't have to rush out and buy drinks - we just charge the business the same rate. 30 cents x 12 cans = $3.60, which is a 12 pack of pop plus tax. We stock up when they're on sale as well - so there's plenty around.

It's just a thought to watch people at your office and building and try to work together to save money for everyone!

Concetta from Westmont, IL

Maybe you could get big bottles & save even more! And/or keep a decanter of iced tea in your lunchroom frig - which is really cheap & much healthier.

Our office does the same thing, but with a wider scope. We have a beverage fund which buys pop, coffee, water, plastic cutlery, cups, plates, bowls, sugar, creamer, salt, and pepper. We charge 40 cents for a 12 oz can of pop or 25 cents for a cup of coffee. The beverage fund spends about $100 a week for appx 30 people. The most I can get in my car trunk at one time is about 12 cases. Sure beats paying 75 cents to $1.25 for beverages in the snack bar!

Oklahoma City, OK

This is a great idea. We did the same thing in our office. The 2-liters are cheaper but if you don't use them fast enough they go flat, so cans seem the best way to go there.

For coffee, one of us would go to Costco about every two weeks and get their big bag of coffee beans. It was usually about 3 or 4 dollars per person to pitch in. Compare that with $1.75 or more for a cup of drip at Starbucks, it's easy to see a big savings right away!

We do this also, but with one addition. We pay 50 cents per can, and the "profits" are saved and used to cater lunch for the office once or twice a year - generally a holiday lunch. Sometimes it's just a nice main dish and we have a potluck.

Beverage at Work
Saving Money on Beverages at Work
Consumer Advice General AdviceSeptember 4, 2007
Office Chair on White Background
Saving Money on Office Supplies
woman using computer
Using Microsoft Office Programs
Office Decorations
Ideas for Decorating an Office
Office chair with lime green cushions.
Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair