Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Pen Ink on Suede Couch

How do I get green pen marks off of my light tan, suede couch?

By Jennifer from Savannah, GA

By Angie H.02/24/2014

My 3 year old grandson drew all over my new $3,000 brown suede couch with a black ink pen. I used a wet rag and windex and it does work. I then used a dry cloth to dry. I'm so glad I found this on here. Thank you all so much!

By jgeill11/23/2013

Window cleaner and elbow grease, lots of elbow grease.

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Windex for Pen Marks on Suede

My 3 year old daughter put pen marks all over my suede couch and I took the Windex advice. It worked like a charm! I just sprayed Windex all over the area and wiped it with a dark towel (it's a dark couch) until all marks were gone! Worked great!

By Browne

Share Your Feedback: Once you try any of the above solutions, be sure to come back and give a "thumbs up" to the one that worked the best for you. Do you have a better solution? Click "Share a Solution" above!

Here are questions related to Pen Ink on Suede Couch.

Question: Removing Ink from Suede Couch

I got blue ball point ink on my brown suede couch; anyone know how to get it off?

By Deya

Most Recent Answer

By RickJ07/13/2011

Deya, Try hairspray. Most hairsprays contain Acetone, a chemical that will dissolve the ink. Spray it on then blot it up with a rag. It took an entire bottle of Final Net, but I once got red ink out of white carpeting. If it leaves behind any sticky or crust from the hairspray, try some warm water or see if it is safe to use Woolite on your couch.Good luck!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Pen Ink on Suede Couch

I got pen ink on my suede couch, I am afraid to use hairspray on suede.

sara210

RE: Pen Ink On Suede Couch

We have one of those suede-looking couches and I have used Windex for ink marks. They actually demonstrated this in the showroom. It works like a charm! (02/10/2005)

By suzi homemaker

RE: Pen Ink On Suede Couch

I tried the Windex solution on my suede couch and it worked like a charm. Left no kind of marks or stains at all. (03/05/2005)

By Steph

RE: Pen Ink On Suede Couch

I have one that is called Enduro Suede? Mine came with a citrus based oil, and I cleaned it with the "heavy duty solution" then covered the spot with Arm & Hammer Pet Fresh Neutralizer powder, or baking soda or borax will help. If you don't have a cleaner, try Folex. It is a natural enzyme cleaner found in the carpet cleaner aisle and is a little more, but worth it as it also neutralizes the smell. (05/11/2006)

By camo_angels

RE: Pen Ink On Suede Couch

Thanks for the Windex tip! I now praise Windex. You saved my couch. It worked like a charm :) (10/21/2007)

By ash

RE: Pen Ink On Suede Couch

Most of these will be microfiber which are leather imitation. If you had genuine suede Windex would have really caused a problem. Ink on suede cannot be removed by conventional cleaners as it has redyed the leather. (11/20/2007)

By Leather Agony Aunt

RE: Pen Ink On Suede Couch

The Windex works. But using a sponge and elbow grease is too much work. Being a man I just used my small electric hand sander w/fine grit paper and saved a lot of time and energy. (03/03/2008)

By tanner

RE: Pen Ink On Suede Couch

Windex definitely did the trick! My daughter drew all over my beautiful suede recliner with a blue ball point pen, while googling for a solution I came across this website with all these helpful tips, my first try was the Windex and voila! It worked like a charm. Thanks to all. (03/11/2008)

RE: Pen Ink On Suede Couch

Regular glass cleaner from Wal-mart worked on getting pen off the arm rest that our 5 yr old accidentally drew on. I am so thankful to whomever came up with this idea! (03/29/2008)

By Tina from Ft Worth

RE: Pen Ink On Suede Couch

My two year old penned up a brown suede couch. Brand new couch by the way. I didn't have any hairspray of any kind. I mixed one part mousse, or gel, to one part alcohol. You have to shake it up well. Sprayed it on the couch, and blotted, then rubbed. Spraying enough to keep it saturated in the process. Open up your windows and turn on your fan because it stinks. For some extra bang I put a teaspoon of tea tree oil in the mix also. You can use one part tea tree oil to one part alcohol for any stain removal usually.

I did not have any Windex to try either, but I'm sure it would work with all of the ammonia in it. (04/21/2008)

By Morgan

RE: Pen Ink On Suede Couch

I used Mean Green window cleaner. It really does work! One of my daycare kids drew all over the arm of my light suede couch and I used Mean Green to get it out. It takes literally 20 seconds, and it's gone! Try it! (09/09/2008)

By joanne.

RE: Pen Ink on Suede Couch

I have to admit that I was pretty freaked out at the idea of putting Windex on my brand-new couch, but it worked! Thank you so much for sharing this tip! (02/15/2009)

By Chrissy M.

RE: Pen Ink on Suede Couch

I have Ashley furniture that is the "ultra" suede. Not actual leather suede. My 20 month old daughter completely covered the pillow top arm in black ink. Thought to try hairspray first, glad I didn't! Windex worked with elbow grease. Now I am going to shampoo it, also. Thanks for your help! (02/21/2009)

By Suniedae

RE: Pen Ink on Suede Couch

Amazing! Thank you so much. I thought it was too good to be true but after our one year old drew all over the couch I was ready to try anything. Windex removed every single mark. (09/05/2009)

By HSlater351

Archive: Pen Ink on Suede Couch

sara210

RE: Pen Ink on Suede Couch

I sprayed Windex on a Q-tip and used it on a light tan suede couch. I was so scared to do this, but honestly it worked! I did go over the area with a damp washrag just in case the Windex left a mark. Here it is 30 minutes later and it is all dried and the blue pen ink is gone! I can't even find where it was. I wanted to comment to keep this info live and active on the web for someone else to use. It is such a blessing to have that 2" blue mark off the couch. I am stoked. Thank you to the previous posters. (07/25/2010)

By mkingsle

RE: Pen Ink on Suede Couch

I just have to say thank you for this information. My 4 1/2 year old wrote in black ink on my boyfriend's suede dining room chair. Not sure how I was going to get that up and found this article. I used glass cleaner and after that plus elbow grease I got 99.9% of it up. There is still some ink on the chair, which you can barely see, but for the most part it worked wonders. The reason I think it didn't take it up 100% was because she pressed really hard and it was really dark on the chair, but you have to look for it in order to see where it was. (09/30/2010)

By astephany