Using Dry Milk for Baking

Use dry milk for baking, even if you don't like to drink it. It's cheaper than buying whole milk. Also, dry milk tastes better if you refrigerate it after it's mixed.

By Robin from Washington, IA

I learned years ago to use dry milk-- dry-- so buy what ever kind you want. Then figure out how much of the powder makes one cup-- put the powder in the biscuit mix ( or whatever) then use plain water for the fluid. Sounds kinda wierd but once upon a time I had to figure meals for 30 days at a time-- shopping and menus for 5 because payday was once a month-- I learned a lot!

You also cannot taste the difference when it is mixed with chocolate! I use a kind in the yellow bag (now it comes in the bulk bin, but my mother gave me a package from her local food bank) and it is the smoothest mixing I have ever used. My DH still can't stand the taste, but my older son will drink it as long as there is chocolate!

I have never bought dry milk. I've tasted years ago and didn't really care for it but that was in the days before I ever drank skim milk. I probably wouldn't mind it now. The only thing about putting it in cooking is sometimes you really need a richer milk for certain recipes or it just doesn't taste right. I drink skim milk but buy 2 % for the kids and that's what I usually use in cooking where it will make a difference.

Just be sure to check prices first - in my area dry milk is more expensive than regular milk.

Also for using in your bath water (milk bath). relaxing.soothing.

Way back in early Weight Watchers days, I used to drink dry milk but didn't like the taste either, so I added a pack of sugar sub to a cup & it made all the difference. I am now lactose intolerant (sob!) so I rely on expensive soy milk - the best being Soy Slender either vanilla or chocolate - but still add that sugar sub to a glass. For baking, I find any kind of dry milk is fine and of course it's required in bread makers, so it's always a good thing to have on hand.

Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingAugust 10, 2006
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Almond Milk
Using Almond Milk
Freezing Milk
Freezing Milk
🎄