Using a 1950's Sunbeam Mix Master Mixer

I bought a 1950's Sunbeam Mix Master mixer at a thrift shop. It has a juicer attachment set (which includes a bowl with a center hole and a funnel hole, a ceramic juicer cone with a slotted metal rod in the center, and a metal double-pronged clamp-on device). But it seems that the handle of the mixer is in the way of the place you need to hook the juicer up (a hole on the left side next to the handle ).

Is there a way to remove or turn the handle out of the way? There does appear to be a tiny slot/hole on the right side of the handle. Perhaps a key? Also, can you remove the beaters from this mixer? I don't see an eject button at all. I do see two black buttons, one on either side of the mixer. When I unscrewed one a little spring popped out from behind it. I put it right back. Does anyone remember these mixers or how to use them? Many thanks!

Cathy from Delaware

Found this website with photos of vintage Sunbeam Mixmaster Mixes. One of the photos might be of help to you.

Hi There,

The handle at the top is supposed to swing to one side to release the beaters. It also swings to one side to put the juicer attachemtn on to use it.

I remember well the old mixer that my grandmother had because I started my married life with it 45 years ago. It gave me a lot of years of good service and I've regretted getting rid of it when I wanted a newer model.

newer models are junk and a 623A is about the best I have 5 mint ones and sad the new stuff is junk and the old ones last forever

I had a sunbeam mixer from the early 60's. I used it until it wore out...about 35 years, and wish they would still make them. They did put out a Classic model a few years ago. It looked like mine did, but it sure didn't work like mine. I used it only a few times, and when the holidays came, tried to make divinity candy and the motor burned out. I made hundreds of batches of divinity with my first one. I now have a KitchenAid that my kids bought for me.

As for removing the beaters....there was no button or lever on mine. You just had to tug lightly and they would release to be removed.

Harlean from Arkansas

Try visiting this site:

There are several manuals (PDF files) for different models of MixMasters available.

If the above site doesn't have the correct manual, try contacting Sunbeam through their site and request a manual. Often they will send you a .PDF file free or a hard copy for a small fee. If they charge too much, google search "Sunbeam Mixer Model ### Manual" and check the results.

I hope you get many years of service out of your "old bargain". Happy mixing.

If manufacturer is of no help, ask here, they will get the manual for you:

You tilt/slide the handle away from the the juicer 'port'; that ejects the beaters.

To remove beaters hold the big black handle and rotate down.

Consumer Advice General AdviceMarch 12, 2008
Electric Hand Mixer
Electric Hand Mixer Tips
Ninja Master Prep
Using a Ninja Master Prep
Electric Mixer
Electric Mixer Tips
Ninja Prep Master Pro
Recipes for the Ninja Prep Master Pro