Easy To Reach Food Storage

I am a disabled senior citizen who gets around most of the time in a motorized chair. Because of the chair and shoulder problems, I had to store certain frequently used foods in easily reachable containers. I bought plastic 1/2 gallon drink containers, rectangular in shape (rounded corners), with handles. I put them in cabinet above my microwave because these were the most used items. I kept in that cabinet; my coffee, oatmeal, instant potatoes, and instant milk.

I did not decorate the containers, so that I could see through them easily. I put them on the shelf with the handles towards the front so all I had to do was reach up to grab the handle, and put them back by putting the edge on shelf and pushing them back using the handle. These sure made life a lot easier for me.

By Linda from Bloomington, IL

This is a clever solution to a problem a lot of us have as we get older: we start shrinking. I've lost about 3/4" in height in the past 15 years, and that makes things farther away than they used to be. A step stool is not always handy, and standing on your tiptoes isn't safe, so the container with a good handle on a reachable shelf is much more practical. Good idea. Thanks.

I am not a senior yet nor disabled but I'm short so I do try to find ways to make it easier for me to get to things w/o always standing on a stool. I find small lazy susans (turntables) added to cabinet shelves can help a lot. One cabinet I put herbs & spices, oil, vinegar, etc on turntables and then I am able to reach by just turning them and bringing the item I want to the front.

Baskets with handles or any sort of a container with a handle does make things easier to grab.

I have arthritis pretty bad. One thing I use is a grabber. I got it at the drug store for around $10.00. It is a heaven send.I think WalMart may have them too.

I bought barbeque tongs for use outside on the grill. I got mine at Dollar Tree for $1. I keep it to reach up and grab items on the top shelf of my cupboard that I wouldn't be able to reach otherwise.

I am 70 and arthritic so I have to be creative about storage. I keep my plastic mixing bowls and plastic collanders upside down on the top shelf and I can pull them down when I need them with my trusty salad tongs.

I use tongs that were meant to be used on an outdoor gas grill as "grabbers" for items on the high shelves. They only cost me $1 years ago at Dollar Tree, and we don't cook out any more. I find them to be quite useful.

My sister is very short and has rheumatoid arthritis. She put shoe racks on top of her kitchen counters. They look like little wooden shelves at the back of the counter between the countertop and the cabinets. They are perfect for storing frequently used dishes and foods.

She also uses plastic containers that have drawers on top of the counter in the corner where her refrigerator shields them from view. You know the ones I mean. They are clear plastic and white. I believe the brand is Sterlite.

Good luck

Handicapped Accessible Storage Tips
Organizing KitchenJune 22, 2007
Photo of a ceiling fan.
Cleaning a Ceiling Fan
Dusting Blinds
Dusting Hard to Reach Places
Food Storage Containers
Using Food Storage Containers