Freezer and FridgeOrganizing

Stocking a New Freezer

How do I properly stock a new freezer for convenience?

Thanks,
Larry from Granite Falls NC

I like to put like items together. Frozen dinners are stacked with the name facing out; same with boxed vegetables. When I buy meat on sale I rewrap it; first in sandwich bags divided by meal portions like two chicken breasts or 1/2 pound of ground meat, then I put those bags into freezer bags labeled with item and date. I then stack all chicken together, all beef together, etc. I also keep an inventory list with date/item/quantity handy so I can check what's in there without actually opening the freezer. Works like a charm for me!

My deep freeze is surprise deep and I am 5ft3 so

I put frozen veggies in one large grocery bag and

knot it up and use black sharpie to tell me what bag

is which I do this with frozen fruits these I buy in bags at store and keep in one grocery bag

I keep list of when it when in and do the same with

meats, etc. good luck

By convenience, I thought you meant entertaining.

Put frozen boxes of appetizers in the top of the freezer. A cake, boiled shrimp, cookies or dough, pie dough, frozen fruit, Danish. Anything you don't use regularly, but serve to guests, and can be frozen. That way, you are ready for anything.

Just a FYI, if you do not keep the freezer full, it is good to freeze gallon jugs of water to make the most of the freezing capacity of the freezer. The repair man let me in on this tip.

High Larry!

This is my first time on this board, so don't yet know the rules. I think you mean "by convenience" that you want to find anything in a hurry. Just do what many of us do. Put it in, thinking "I'll remember where I put this". Then when looking weeks later, just throw everything out on the floor or in a tub. Where is that thing? Always at the bottom.

Never fails. I do one thing though. I have about 6 cloth pillowcases each in a different color. I put ground beef in one, veg in another and so forth. Even so: WHERE IS MY APPLESAUCE, DARN"

ps. Is humour accepted on this site? Please someone, answer and let me know. (I'm a poor Canadian, eh)

To keep track of what I have I went to the Dollar store and bought the largest square plastic baskets. I placed one on each shelf and filled it with all the same things. One shelf has fruits. The next shelf all meats. Etc. This way if I need anything I just pull the basket out. All like product is together and I know what I have. Nothing gets lost in the corners and forgotten. Works easy as the plastic just slides out.