Platy Stays at the Bottom of the Fish Tank

I bought a new fish for my Red Mickey Mouse fish because he seemed lonely. He is happier now but the new platy is always at the bottom. I bought a new heater and the temp. is at 76F. He still won't come up from the bottom. I know he is alive cause he is still swimming, but what can I do to get him to come up from the bottom? I have a 10 gallon tank with 4 fish and a ghost shrimp.

Lauren from Colorado Springs, CO

I've never owned fish, so I don't know fishes habits; but maybe he is one of those creatures that naturally stays on the bottom of the tank? You know how a bird likes to roost high? Maybe that's what the creature is naturally inclined to do. Just a thought...........

Both Platy's are male? The temperature seems ok and the tank isn't crowded. They may be fighting. Or he may have gotten hurt when you bought him or on something in the tank. Does it look like there is any damage to his fins or belly that may prevent him from swimming or that would cause him to be off balance? Do you have plants that he can swim through or hide in?

Platys usually swim all over. Could he be frightened of the other fish? I am not familiar with the other kinds you have named.

First of all to take a closer look maybe get a see through container and fill it up with the tank water and net the fish and look at it closely. What gallon tank and what type? It may be a female and may be pregnant. Also it may have ich (looks like dandriff on the side of the fish). If that is the case remove the fish into what we call a hospital tank or something that can hold it til it is cured. At the local pet stores the have a ich remover solution.

I had the same problem! He is stressed because there aren't enough of his species. Try buying on more platy if its a female buy a male or buy a female Or visa versa (buy a male if you want babies).

Pets FishDecember 4, 2008
Fish tank on a table.
Protecting Furniture Under a Fish Tank
Fish Buying Tips
Fish Buying Tips
fish in aquarium
Setting Up An Aquarium
Pop bottle fish with colorful streamers for its tail.
Making Pop Bottle Fish